Bringing luggage to a show :(

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#1Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 5:29pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to stow a carry-on suitcase at the Lyceum?  I have just enough time to catch a 90 minute production before needing to leave for my flight from Newark.  Definitely would not have time to go back to the hotel, so I would have to take my carry-on with me.  Checked website for info on coat check etc, but nothing mentioned.  Or is there seating that would allow me to have it along side?

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#2Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:05pm

I would think not, but I honestly don't know.  I know you checked the website, but have you called the theater and asked?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:07pm

Most theaters can take a bag for you, they dont want it in the theater either.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ChiTheaterFan
#4Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:10pm

I've never tried at the Lyceum but every theater where I've ever asked has done this. I saw a woman taking a suitcase into eclipsed yesterday. You can usually check it at coat check. 

Updated On: 6/16/16 at 06:10 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#5Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:12pm

Most theaters don't offer coat check in the summer, as far as I recall.

broadwayguy2
#6Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:13pm

They would not have coat check at this time of year.

I can't think of any location in the theatre where you could have a piece of luggage by your seat without blocking the aisles.

Additionally, given the procedure to inspect bags, you would have to open the suitcase and allow staff to fully check it before entering, so I would recommend against taking anything large.

This week, particularly. I imagine that venues will be less likely to want those types of things around (Broadway Bares has banned bags, just like sports stadiums), let alone when you would / could walk away from it.

While it is wonderful that you want to get in one last show, perhaps it is better to skip the theatre,

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:13pm

Buthe house manager can unlock the space or put it in his office.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 6/17/16 at 06:13 PM

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#8Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:22pm

I don't know about the logistics in the Lyceum theatre, but i suggest that you stow the bag at the Hotel St. James, just a few doors east of the Lyceum Theatre on the same block and same side of the street.  That hotel has lockers in their lobby that can be used to store luggage for a few dollars (they are either coin or bill-operated; you can get change at the front desk).  Since they are lockers and offered for a fee, you don't have to have stayed at the hotel to use them (I asked them about that the one time that i stayed there in case i wanted to use them again some day).

saisai
#9Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:23pm

What dramamama611 said is true, but given the stricter bag checks, you can probably ask a nearby hotel to hold it for you for $1 tip (the Hyatt is next door and Milleneum hotel is across the street.)

A Canadian in NYC
#10Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 6:59pm

adam.peterson44 said: "I don't know about the logistics in the Lyceum theatre, but i suggest that you stow the bag at the Hotel St. James, just a few doors east of the Lyceum Theatre on the same block and same side of the street.  That hotel has lockers in their lobby that can be used to store luggage for a few dollars (they are either coin or bill-operated; you can get change at the front desk).  Since they are lockers and offered for a fee, you don't have to have stayed at the hotel to use them (I asked them about that the one time that i stayed there in case i wanted to use them again some day).

That would be a great solution! Honestly I'd feel like an idiot bringing it into the theatre and certainly understand the safety precautions. Thank you. I'm going to look into this for sure! 

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#11Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 7:08pm

You're welcome!  I hope the luggage thing works out and that you enjoy your trip and all your shows!

trpguyy
#12Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 8:57pm

Schwartz Luggage Storage is not far

A Canadian in NYC
#13Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 9:54pm

trpguyy said: "Schwartz Luggage Storage is not far

Thanks!  I'll check that out too!

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#14Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:41pm

Coat check is normally available.  If not, I'm sure they will store it for you..

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#15Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:44pm

At any recently run house, the House Manager should be able to take care of it 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#16Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/17/16 at 7:56am

saisai said: "What dramamama611 said is true, but given the stricter bag checks, you can probably ask a nearby hotel to hold it for you for $1 tip (the Hyatt is next door and Milleneum hotel is across the street.)

"

It's gonna cost you more than one dollar.  $5 should do the trick, but many hotels have a specific charge for this service, and you should tip a bit on top of that if the bag is big, heavy, or fragile.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#17Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/17/16 at 8:21am

Not sure if that theatre will be accommodating but I had a hell of a time trying to find somewhere to put my suitcase when I saw the first preview of Waitress. My hotel was about 20 blocks from the theatre and I had to go straight to the bus station after the show, so I didn't have time to go back to get the suitcase. I stopped by the theatre and they literally laughed at me and said "you think we can take your bag with all of the stuff going on right now?" So I then proceeded to bring it to like six hotels - none would take it because they couldn't be liable since I wasn't staying there. Finally my boyfriend found a really sketchy luggage storage place a few blocks away. You have to go up an e elevator and when the door opens, this guy was sitting there smoking a joint. He held our bag for us, I think it cost $20. So, anyway... I hope you have better luck than I did!

allyk Profile Photo
allyk
#18Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 6/17/16 at 9:50am

n2nbaby said: "Not sure if that theatre will be accommodating but I had a hell of a time trying to find somewhere to put my suitcase when I saw the first preview of Waitress. My hotel was about 20 blocks from the theatre and I had to go straight to the bus station after the show, so I didn't have time to go back to get the suitcase. I stopped by the theatre and they literally laughed at me and said "you think we can take your bag with all of the stuff going on right now?" So I then proceeded to bring it to like six hotels - none would take it because they couldn't be liable since I wasn't staying there. Finally my boyfriend found a really sketchy luggage storage place a few blocks away. You have to go up an e elevator and when the door opens, this guy was sitting there smoking a joint. He held our bag for us, I think it cost $20. So, anyway... I hope you have better luck than I did!

"

I had the same experience at Waitress in April. My mother and I didn't have time to go back to our hotel before catching our bus back home and it was a huge process to get our carry-on bag held. They eventually did hold it for us, but they weren't happy about it. The night before we saw people checking bags at School of Rock with no issues.

On the other hand, I checked a bag at Studio 54 a few years back when I knew I wasn't going to have the time to go back to my friend's apartment. They were more than happy to check the bag and said they do it all the time. It must depend on the house itself.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#19Bringing luggage to a show :(
Posted: 8/5/22 at 10:00pm

Anyone had recent experience with this? My early flight got canceled and I’m bumped to one that lands an hour before my 2pm matinee (Mr. Saturday Night), I’ll be doing well to get there by curtain so I doubt I’ll have time to go to my hotel on 45th street. :/

Updated On: 8/5/22 at 10:00 PM

Videos