pixeltracker

Did anyone see American Idiot/ Spring Awakeing?- Page 2

Did anyone see American Idiot/ Spring Awakeing?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Did anyone see American Idiot/ Spring Awakeing?
Posted: 8/8/16 at 11:54am

darquegk said: "My reading of AI has always been that it is supposed to appear almost the opposite of dangerous and radical by the end. It's a show about resignation- resignation to the fact that you're not a real punk kid anymore, that life is gonna suck and there's really nothing you can do to improve your life or the world, and resignation that drugs just aren't fun anymore.

It's the anti-Pippin. Pippin discovers that maybe ordinary is wonderful after all. Johnny, Tunny and Will discover that ordinary sucks, but it's all you got. You burn out or you grow up.
"

I think this is an example of a common tendency to expect musical theatre to tie things up with a bow, whether warranted or not. I agree the show does not aspire to be dangerous or radical. I think it dares to be honest, neither sympathetic nor damning, in limning a time. But beyond that, I don't see where you get your "read" from in what we see and hear at the end. I don't think it passes judgment on the future. 

Liza's Headband
#26Did anyone see American Idiot/ Spring Awakeing?
Posted: 8/8/16 at 1:08pm

Only saw SA. Love the score, hate hate hate the book and show/production. Just absolutely dreadful. I did appreciate how hard they worked to "discover" such incredible young talent, though. 

ebontoyan
#27Did anyone see American Idiot/ Spring Awakeing?
Posted: 8/8/16 at 3:55pm

I saw touring productions of both. Loved SA especially the score, although the audience were walking out in droves at intermission in our Midwest theater!  AI was too loud and I didn't know Green Day or I could have prepped for it (like listening to their music before going to show!)  I always prep for a show but I skipped out on AI!

benmangini
#29Did anyone see American Idiot/ Spring Awakeing?
Posted: 8/8/16 at 5:33pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "I've read a draft of the proposed screenplay for an AMERICAN IDIOT feature film that's in the offing. For those who wished the Bway show had more plot, you well may love the movie, which keeps every song from the live show and crams in just an incredible amount of incident and character development around those songs. Same exact plot as the show, same exact characters, but sadly the flying sequences are gone (which were my absolute favorite moments in the live show).

"

Any any idea when they are making the movie ? 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#30Did anyone see American Idiot/ Spring Awakeing?
Posted: 8/8/16 at 10:39pm

^ My understanding is the film would shoot in early 2017, for release in .... maybe 2018? Hard to say for sure because no movie like this gets green lit without some major casting coups, and as far as I could tell, no key roles except St Jimmy had been cast. (Each of the Green Day members gets at least a cameo as currently scripted.) There's also the question of working around Michael Mayer's busy schedule; he was to be responsible for screenplay and direction.

I thought the screenplay was pretty dazzling, but also really challenging to pull off on a small-to-medium budget. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to actually happen, at least until some real casting press releases come out.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#31Did anyone see American Idiot/ Spring Awakeing?
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:29pm

I loved American Idiot.  One of my favorite shows, in fact.  The music, staging and choreography were outstanding.  I really had no issues with the book given the concept of the show and its structure.  The book seemed entirely appropriate and did not leave me wanting.

The only things I liked about Spring Awakening were the music (without the pretentious lyrics) and the lighting.  The book was like an 80s after-school special and that finale was both confusing and grating.  One of the most sickeningly earnest shows I've ever seen.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos