pixeltracker

Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?- Page 4

Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?

Whateverjsays
#75Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?
Posted: 9/25/16 at 2:53pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "Whateverjsays said: "And some of the biggest names on Broadway right now (Audra and Cynthia) are black so it's not like Broadway is trying to keep it white."

I don't believe you had poor intentions in making this statement, but your positioning two women as the faces of all actors of color is a reflection of the insitutional racism that is at play in casting today. Would you ever use Patti LuPone or Sutton Foster as barometers for the employment prospects of all white actors? 

If we continuously dismiss any conversations about race in the realm of casting as "color counting," we will never make any progress in this community towards dismantling insitutional racism.

"

I didn't mean any offense by it. But if you think about it- the color purple. Hamilton. Holiday inn. Chicago. On Your Feet. Lion king. Falsettos. Kinky boots. Aladdin. All Have people of color. So I think Broadway does a great job of having diversity in its casts. Just because one show doesn't have a non white person doesn't mean you have to pick it apart. Broadway is much more diverse than tv of movies giving people roles of actual substance 

Sunny11
#76Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?
Posted: 9/25/16 at 3:13pm

^ The Emmys this year did well on the diversity front though. Rami Maleck was the first non white to win best actor in a drama for two decades. The people vs OJ Simpson dominated the  miniseries catagory including wins for two african- american actors. 

BWAY Baby2
#77Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?
Posted: 9/26/16 at 7:18am

Yes- Broadway does a great job of including all races and of course the gay community is always solidly represented. And in Hollywood where all that hoopla over the nominees being white last year overshadowed the show- this year it will not be like that because more movies of quality with diverse casting will be represented. this color counting is tiresome and pointless at this point in the entertainment field. Things are changing- and that is that, as far as I am concerned. I do not count every Jew, gay, black, white, Aisan for every production and I think it is ridiculous to keep doing this.

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#78Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?
Posted: 9/26/16 at 7:43am

They should have cast me as Dolly. I am an eccentric, though not as eccentric as Channing. I am a man and a man in a dress still sends many up in arms so that would x-out the "boring" problem. It would remedy the non-traditionalists wish for diversity, and it would ease the de-coloreds' guilt as I am a Latino man of golden brown.

At any rate, that reminds me...when are we going to see Lea Salonga back on Broadway? Such talent shouldn't be limited to roles that match her race. Maybe she's too young for Dolly, but this would have been a nice role to see her in.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#79Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?
Posted: 9/26/16 at 8:49am

You're going to have to wait at least until Fun Home closes in Manila (she's playing Helen).

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt