Celebrities at shows?

smidge
#25Celebrities at shows?
Posted: 11/14/16 at 9:07am

Audra at The Last Ship, Harry Belafonte, Annie Leibovitz, Julie Chen and Les Moonves at Hamilton  (Public Theater), Orlando Bloom and Michael Sheen at Twelfth Night, Lynn Redgrave at Grey Gardens, Tommy Tune at Patti's Gypsy at City Center (luckily not behind him!)

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#26Celebrities at shows?
Posted: 11/14/16 at 9:09am

More than I can count over the years. Most recent one was sitting next to Robert Morse at Oslo.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#27Celebrities at shows?
Posted: 11/14/16 at 10:26am

Ha I love threads like these. I have seen quite a few celebrities at shows but here are some off the top of my head.

I ran into Alan Cumming at Something Rotten (at the matinee performance before he hosted the Tony Awards.) I was walking into the restroom as he was walking out...I was  ecstatic to see him.

When I saw Dry Powder over the summer, I was standing in line behind Hugh Dancy, which makes sense as he's Claire Danes' husband. We talked for a minute about the show and I told him I was a big fan of his work. 

KathyNYC2
#28Celebrities at shows?
Posted: 11/14/16 at 10:30am

I literally bumped into Hugh Jackman at Waitress recently in the lobby.

Judith Light at Kinky Boots, numerous cast members from Fun Home at Finding Neverland...and also Mathew Morrison in the audience at Neverland after he had left the show and came to visit and saw the show with Tony Yasbeck if I remember correctly.

I also remember seeing Andrea McArdle at the opening at the most recent Annie opening night. Oh and Alexis Bledel when she came to see Lauren Graham in Guys and Dolls.

I'm sure there were more but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#29Celebrities at shows?
Posted: 11/14/16 at 11:44am

I often used to see Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward in the audience for Encores! performances. I have also seen Sean Connery at Art (he was one of the producers), Robert Redford at Metamorphoses (at Second Stage, before it moved to Broadway), and Kevin Spacey at The Coast of Utopia (at the National Theatre, in London). 

Least exciting sighting:  Nixon and his family (and a posse of Secret Service agents) at Much Ado About Nothing in November 1972, right after he had been re-elected. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#30Celebrities at shows?
Posted: 11/14/16 at 11:58am

Here are some of the other ones I remember off the top of my head:

Nathan Lane and Elaine Stritch, there together, at Grey Gardens when it was still at Playwrights

Jimmy Fallon at Rock-N-Roll on Broadway

Patricia Wettig and Patrick Breen, together, at John at Signature

Gina Gershon at Other Desert Cities when it was still Off Broadway

Joan Rivers at Driving Miss Daisy (Vanessa Redgrave/James Earl Jones production)

Alec Baldwin at the final performance of The Anarchist

Natasha Leggero and Riki Lindhome, together, at She Loves Me

Will and Jada Smith at Fences

James Franco at Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Scarlett Johansson production)

Wallace Shawn at Gloria at the Vineyard

Terry Gross at Fun Home when it was still at the Public

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body