pixeltracker

Question about Associate Conductors

Question about Associate Conductors

Alex Kulak2
#1Question about Associate Conductors
Posted: 1/15/17 at 7:25pm

A lot of times when I'm looking at the credits for a broadway production, the pianist or keyboardist is often listed as an associate conductor, which I understand is the backup conductor for the orchestra. If that's the case, when they conduct, do they have the conductor's cues in their own keyboard book, or do they play/conduct from the conductor's score?

Updated On: 1/15/17 at 07:25 PM

trpguyy
#2Question about Associate Conductors
Posted: 1/15/17 at 8:41pm

They'll conduct/play from their own notated conductor's score. 

temms Profile Photo
temms
#3Question about Associate Conductors
Posted: 1/16/17 at 3:31pm

And to clarify, when the Associate conducts the show they do it from the podium just like the MD and a sub plays their regular keyboard book. Associates usually conduct at least 2 shows a week, and inevitably more often as the run goes on. The Assistant Conductor is next in line after the Associate and also gets rotated in frequently. Sometimes there's an assistant who's not a keyboard player but conducts sometimes - on one show I subbed, the percussionist was the assistant and a sub played his book whenever he conducted. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Question about Associate Conductors
Posted: 1/16/17 at 3:35pm

What does the music director do?

is that just a fancier name for conductor?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Alex Kulak2
#5Question about Associate Conductors
Posted: 1/16/17 at 3:42pm

^^ Usually, they do conduct the orchestra. But their main job is to teach the music to the cast and orchestra. They make decisions about the music if the composer isn't on site.

trpguyy
#6Question about Associate Conductors
Posted: 1/16/17 at 8:46pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "^^ Usually, they do conduct the orchestra. But their main job is to teach the music to the cast and orchestra. They make decisions about the music if the composer isn't on site."

That's typically the job of the Music Supervisor.