News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Alex Kulak2

Member Name: Alex Kulak2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Robert Downey Jr to make Broadway debut in Ayad Akhtar's McNeal at Lincoln Center  May 8 2024, 10:22:20 PM

Looks like RDJ will be co-producing through his production company. Interesting, you don't see actors producing plays they're acting in very often.

SCHMIGADOON! to play Kennedy Center  May 7 2024, 10:21:01 AM

FINALLY, JUSTICE FOR SCHMIGADOON!

I was just listening to Bubble Boy The Musical this morning. Cinco Paul really is a fantastic songwriter. He needs a show on Broadway sooner rather than later.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 2 2024, 09:08:35 PM

Huckster2 said: "I am not understanding the hate some have for BTTF. Iunderstand that not every one likes a show. I get that. But it seems this show is always at the brunt of jokes from those who do not like more than any other shows. so it is not the dislike of the show it self, but rather the attempts to continue to bring up those options at any time
it reminds me of NFL fans and the Cowboys. You are either like then or you end your comments with “Dallas Sucks” no

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 10:08:02 AM

gibsons2 said: "leefowler said: "When Billy Joel won the best orchestration Tony for "Movin' Out," I realized there's not a lot of people who understand what an orchestration is."

It's true. But some orchestrations are glaringly not good, so you kind of recognize theseeven without special background in music. I thought Lempicka had the worst this year. The Notebook has one of the best orchestration and no nomination for it is baffli

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 09:58:50 AM

BossBroadway said: "Notebook deserved a score and orchestrations nom at the very least. Stereophonic has great songs, it does NOT have a great score."

I'm gonna really stir the pot and say that Notebook deserved the nomination over Days of Wine and Roses by a very wide margin.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 09:26:43 AM

Two things are true at the same time:

1. Jonathan Tunick is an incredible orchestrator.

2. Awarding him a Tony in 2024 for Orchestrations he wrote in 1994 is categorically insane.

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 12:05:20 PM

11 nominations for Dead Outlaw and 8 for The Connector. Possibly a couple of transfers on the horizon?

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 12:01:19 PM

KevinKlawitter said: "Happy to see the Liam Pearce nomination."

Agreed, he was a standout in that show.

farewell Kimmy!  Apr 28 2024, 05:49:05 PM

I've never been more scared about the future of musical theatre than when I saw a bunch of children on TikTok calling this show mediocre.

I think this show is just sublime. It's Jeanine Tesori strengthening her already incredibly stable footing as one of the best composers working in musical theatre today.

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio  Apr 26 2024, 02:49:17 PM

willep said: "What I saw was finished."

I agree with this. Both technically and semantically, it's finished. Sondheim had his lawyer approve the show for production prior to his death, and he agreed with Mantello and Ives' argument that the second act should be light on music. Long Day's Journey Into Night was written just as Eugene O'Neill started to suffer from tremors that made him unable to write for the last decade of his life,

Shows that were considerably changed after their Broadway run  Apr 23 2024, 11:33:30 AM

Rentaholic2 said: "Amelie was significantly reworked for its UK premiere, and I believe that is the version of the show that is now licensed. The score was modified quite significantly and largely re-orchestrated, and I think it's just wonderful. I haven't seen the show, but just by comparing thecast albums, it seems they really cracked the code on it in London. It would be great if the show one day got another chance in New York with the revised version."

&n

The Notebook - Original Broadway Cast Recording  Apr 19 2024, 12:54:44 PM

HeyMrMusic said: "These orchestrations are so refreshing. The "Time" musical motif that is peppered in among the instrumentation is such a thoughtful detail to weave throughout the score. The texture of a real harp and the weight and depth of a real percussionist make a huge difference in the sound. Thanks to the pristine recording, every bit of the orchestration is heard and felt.I think this is quite an accomplishment from John Clancy and Carmel Dean."

Jo

SUFFS Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 19 2024, 11:55:48 AM

There was an article that said that Shaina Taub is now the second woman to write, compose, and star in a Broadway musical. Anyone know off the top of their heads who the first was? It can't be Elizabeth Swados for Runaways because she didn't perform in the show (although she did play in the pit), and it can't be Sara Bareilles for Waitress because she didn't write the book.

The Notebook - Original Broadway Cast Recording  Apr 19 2024, 09:27:15 AM

Yep, still absolutely gorgeous.

John Clancy continues to knock it out of the park with his orchestrations, and Carmel Dean is making an incredibly impressive debut as orchestrator.

The lyrical motif of Home (I will carry you Home, I want to go Home), absolutely breaks me.

Joy Woods is an absolute star.

I think what feels really special about this score is that there's no big star turns. Not that the performers don't shine, but it doesn't feel like any s

Purpose at Steppenwolf  Apr 17 2024, 11:44:00 AM

Call_me_jorge said: "I haven’t done the pay what you want, but I’ve done the 20 for 20 deal for every show at Steppenwolf with great success"

I also do the 20 for 20 deal. I call right at noon when the box office opens, and I've always been able to get in.

JK Rowling Concerns  Apr 16 2024, 04:45:14 PM

Her views are abhorrent and I no longer support her writing. I think the stage show is another story, and I don't know if I would support a boycott of it. Compared to the money she makes from book sales and film royalties, Cursed Child probably represents a fairly small amount of JK Rowling's earnings. On the other hand, it's the primary source of income for the scores of actors and crew members that work on the show every day, who don't hold the same t

Purpose at Steppenwolf  Apr 16 2024, 12:44:00 PM

I wasn't a fan of this one. Branden Jacobs-Jenkins is one of my favorite playwrights working today, but the script was really a let down. I was totally on board with the first act, it was funny, they were building all this great tension, it flew by. But the second act was just a slog, it went in all the places you expect it to go, and it really lacked a lot of the stakes that I've come to expect from BJJ's work.

The cast was all great, with Henry Lennix, Tamara Tu

Shows with Ghost writers  Apr 9 2024, 03:07:21 PM

I've noticed in the credits for Waitress and Lempicka, Peter Duchan (who I knew as the book writer for Dogfight), is credited as "Script Consultant" and "Creative Consultant", respectively. Is this maybe the new term we're using for a ghostwriter, or is it something different?

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio  Apr 5 2024, 01:24:10 PM

WindyNewYorker said: "It’s very lovelyseeing a simple instrumentation of a musical. Tunick is a master and his sonic mapping of orchestration is masterful."

The way the melody goes from the oboe to the bassoon in the preview video is just magical

Who has had the most 1000 show runs on Broadway?  Apr 4 2024, 12:33:42 PM

leefowler said: "I’ve had 5, but I’m only a lowly dance arranger."

Music arrangers are one of the most undervalued contributors to musical theatre. Bless you, and keep up the good work.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You