pixeltracker

Bitter Losers Tony Thread- Page 9

Bitter Losers Tony Thread

cam5y
#200Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/13/17 at 7:36pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I think what people fail to realize is that DEH'S book is practically perfect on paper.  A lot of the problems that people have with it are not related to the actual writing, but are related to people's personal moral issues with the show. A lot of the problems that people have with it are clearly explained in the script, but for some reason, people aren't really catching them.  The only flaw that I think is valid, IMO, is that the ending can seem a bit tacked onto the rest of the show and that Zoe's line about "You saved my parents marriage" can be a bit distasteful, even though I understand what she means by that.  I can't think of a better book this season."

"A bit distasteful?" Wow. 

Yeah, saying that a teenager's lies about his schoolmate saved the marriage of the parents of said schoolmate who killed himself (and wasn't even the teenager's friend) is a BIT distasteful.

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 07:36 PM

Rainah
#201Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:36pm

BuddyStarr said: " Yeah, Comet looked great (it won an award for that) but mostly the characters just ran around the theatre. Hardly anyone could visualize the splendor of the ballet or any of the other locations that occurred during Comet.  It was like a Mystery Café Dinner Show with bones thrown to the audience on stage, very gimmicky."

Goodness, I hope you're joking. Comet's direction blew me off my feet. All of the little things they had to consider when staging a show like that, all adding up to something so seamless and whole. The Opera (not ballet) was chilling and haunting, as befitting the otherworldly vibe of Anatole's entrance. But just small things, like Pierre walking behind the mirror when Natasha says she sees a vague shape in her future. Or how Anatole's cocky arms behind his head maneuver allows him to twist and show his face to other parts of the audience. Or the ability to make fairly static numbers like Sonya Alone or Dust and Ashes such showstoppers (Static, inner numbers are always the hardest I find)

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#202Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/14/17 at 7:59am

froote said: "I also felt that the balance between comedy and darkness was handled really poorly, in comparison to shows like Fun Home and Next to Normal."

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but it's something that bothered me while watching the show. It seemed to oscillate between extreme gravity and sophomoric humor so often that I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to be taking it all as seriously as Mr. Platt did most of the time, or if I was supposed to be laughing at the high school jokes.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#203Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/14/17 at 8:01am

BuddyStarr said: "Amazed at all the Come From Away haters lamenting that their Comet didn't win best direction.  Are you serious?  CFA told a story with several chairs and articles of clothing yet you could visualize the people in the plane.  The way the director had the couple sightseeing while standing on chairs took you to where they were.  The way each character was different even though they were played by some of the same people was wonderful.  Yeah, Comet looked great (it won an award for that) but mostly the characters just ran around the theatre. Hardly anyone could visualize the splendor of the ballet or any of the other locations that occurred during Comet.  It was like a Mystery Café Dinner Show with bones thrown to the audience on stage, very gimmicky."

yes

I feel that Best Direction deservedly went to Come From Away, and I think it should also have taken Best Book.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#204Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/14/17 at 8:16am

Mister Matt said: "By intermission, I was wondering when the role was going to become nomination-worthy as she seemed almost an afterthought in act one. [Rachel Bay Jones] certainly had her dramatic moments in the second act, but her through-line just didn't add up for me."

I felt the same way. In the first act, she seemed to be an almost disposable character; in the second act she got one brief (albeit noteworthy) song that didn't feel to me as though it was coming from the same character as played prior to that point. While she certainly nailed "So Big/So Small", I don't think one number merits a Tony. Jenn Colella was a lot more integral throughout Come From Away and she has a spectacular solo number in "Me and the Sky".

coreman009
#205Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/14/17 at 12:04pm

I'm a big fan of Dear Evan Hansen but Rachel Bay Jones definitely should not have won Featured Actress, it should've been Jenn Colella, MAYBE Stephanie J Block.

I would've also loved to see Come From Away win Best Book.