pixeltracker

"Faves" you've never actually seen- Page 2

"Faves" you've never actually seen

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#25Faves not seen
Posted: 6/27/17 at 8:39am

^^^ Maybe because I'd seen Merman live (in CALL ME MADAM), I was able to imagine GYPSY quite well from the cast album and photographs. Of course, it was different, but just as brilliant, with Lansbury, and there were several Jerome Robbins-inspired sequences that surprised me (in a very good way).

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#26Faves not seen
Posted: 6/27/17 at 8:46am

I have seen the Paper Mill production of SHOW BOAT that was videotaped for Great Performances, with Eddie Bracken and Rebecca Baxter. It's another one that isn't done very much due to the sheer scope of the piece and the cast requirements. But what I saw (and continue to listen to) moved me so greatly, and it is certainly in my Top 5 shows.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Jarethan
#27Faves not seen
Posted: 6/27/17 at 11:32am

henrikegerman said: "It's complicated.

On the one hand, there are scores I loved on hearing from shows I've later seen and not loved or even been very disappointed by.
And vice versa - there are scores that didn't thrill me from shows which I surprisingly later saw and loved.  To the point sometimes where my feelings about the show as a whole made me appreciate the score very much.

On top of which, I often revise how I feel about shows based on productions that I feel unlocked or understood what was there in the text; often what was there that had eluded me for years based on either my hearing of the score and or my response to productions I saw earlier.

on top of on top of that, sometimes my revised opinion of a show has more to do with how I've changed than about how a newly seen production treated the show.

I agree with everything you said.  Most recently, with one exception, I loved the CD to Fun Home; boy, was I surprised when I hated the show.  So much that it colored my enjoyment of the CD!!! 

I have a close friend who, for 30 years, cited Follies as the best musical he has ever seen.  After seeing the first revival, he concluded that it is not as great a musical as he thought.  After seeing the recent revival, he has concluded that it is a mediocre musical with a great score; and that it originally benefited from a once in a lifetime production.  Anyone loving the various CDs and hearing of the legend that is the original production could conclude other it is a fave they have never seen, and there is a large possibility of major disappointment.

FrizzyAnya
#28Faves not seen
Posted: 6/27/17 at 2:51pm

I've had the soundtrack to Wicked memorized for YEARS. I first heard "Popular" in a movie theater waiting for a movie to start (we got there before the commercials even started) and by the end of the song my sister and I were both standing up in the back row singing along like it had been our favorite song since forever. For Good became a theme song of sorts for a group of friends I was in. The entire soundtrack has been on my playlist since it was first created. 

...but I've still never seen it. I try for the lottery every single day though. I'm determined to make it happen but I have a hard limit of $50 as the upper bound for amount I can spend on any tickets to any show.