pixeltracker

August Osage County - spoiler question

August Osage County - spoiler question

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#1August Osage County - spoiler question
Posted: 7/1/17 at 2:47pm

Hey everyone! I have quite a silly question regarding the ending of August Osage County. I've read the play and watched the film adaptation am am just unsure I understand part of the plot. At the end when Violet talks about the safety deposit box - why was it so important she get into it? I understand people use them for precious things but why was it necessary she got into it while Beverly was at the motel? My understanding, which I don't think is correct, is she got her things from it when Beverly left because she thought he could get to it first? Any insight is appreciated! 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#2August Osage County - spoiler question
Posted: 7/1/17 at 3:37pm

I also wondered about this the first couple times I saw/read the play years back. It's a little muddy in the script and probably partially up to the director and actors how they'd like to justify the logic (a la the guilt or lack thereof of Father Flynn in Doubt). As I interpreted it, the understanding between her and Bev was that if either of them should die, they should immediately empty the safety deposit box. If he left a suicide note that stated where he was, the seemingly logical thing for a spouse to do would be to go to the motel and try to talk him out of it. The twist is that Violet decided to let him go forward with the suicide - whether it was out of maliciousness or respect for his wishes, doesn't really matter - in order to collect the contents of the deposit box sooner. Her reasoning that "if she had been in her right mind, she might have done things different" is sort of a cop out because she's lucid enough to recall the situation in the first place.

jimmycurry01
#3August Osage County - spoiler question
Posted: 7/1/17 at 4:16pm

My family has been settling the estate of my grandpa for a few months now. ColorTheHours has all of the plot points right. The problem for Violet would have been that the contents of the Safe Deposit Box would get tied up in the settling of the estate for a few months if she didn't go get it before there was a death certificate. At least that's how it works in Indiana.