Brigadoon

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#75Brigadoon
Posted: 12/31/17 at 9:03pm

I have always been an immense fan of this score, but have never found an acceptable commercial recording. If there is/are any "powers that be", who might be reading this thread, BE IT KNOWN:

I will VERY happily pay in advance (which is something I never do) for a contemporary commercial recording of this cast. After hearing snippets of Kelli O'Hara's GORGEOUS interpretations of Fiona's songs - I would buy an OC album for her alone! SOOOOOO...

PLEASE do a studio recording with this cast!!!!!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#76Brigadoon
Posted: 12/31/17 at 11:57pm

henrikegerman said: "The town really has no choice but to search for Harryand prevent his leaving. Kind of like the Into the Woods folks havingno choice but to destroythe giant's wife. But well said, adam.peterson, about Harry's being trapped against his will in the town.And I also have issues with miracle-negotiation fears not being ofindustrialization, or the English, or the gentry, but ofwitches and sorcerers and the need to defend the church agains tthem. The real villain in the piece, not that anyone realizes it, may be Forsythe for bargaining with God to begin with and for obligating everyone against their will. And, notwithstanding the violent sexuality at the wedding,Harry is really a very relatable character not only deprived of choice in his destiny but being forced to live out his life there without love.

Still, I have no problem suspending belief for the joys the show offers, or at least the ones Encores' production did.
"

Oh, I think Harry is quite
sympathetic. I've always
assumed Forsythe was
the village lawyer--er, solicitor.
It makes perfect sense that
he made such a "bargain".

Seriously, blame Oscar
Hammerstein. Perhaps his
most profound contribution
to the American musical
was the knowledge that
happy endings come only
at a price: Harry, Jud,
Julie, Lt. Cable, Billy
Bigelow, even Rolf in
the SOUND OF MUSIC
(though I know OH didn't
write that last book).

Hammerstein took the
human sacrifice out of
the church and put it
into the theater, where
it should be.

Updated On: 1/1/18 at 11:57 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#77Brigadoon
Posted: 1/1/18 at 12:07am

The recording with Brent Barrett, Rebecca Luker and Judy Kaye is enjoyable.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#78Brigadoon
Posted: 1/1/18 at 5:35pm

CATSNYrevival said: "The recording with Brent Barrett, Rebecca Luker and Judy Kaye is enjoyable."

I agree. But I probably prefer
the Shirley Jones/Jack Cassidy
version, with the divine Susan
Johnson as Meg. (This isn't
to slight Judy Kaye, whom I
adore.)

Curiously, the OBC recording
omits "The Real Love of My
Live". Too racy for the late
1940s?

As for whether Encores!
will release an album of the
current "concert" version,
I have at least 8 OC albums
of theirs, so it wouldn't be
unusual. Patrick Wilson
stars in their recording of
TENDERLOIN (a must
have, BTW).

Cesare2
#79Brigadoon
Posted: 1/2/18 at 5:18pm

I wouldn't count on a new recording.  IIRC, the most recent Encores recordings had foundation funding.  I doubt that the Fredercik Loewe Foundation, which paid for PAINT YOUR WAGON, would put up the money for another recording  of BRIGADOON.  The McGlinn recording, which contains more of the score than even the Encores production, is excellent.  And the Lehman Engel recording  is also very good.  Too bad this BRIGADOON wasn't televised.  On paper it looked as terrific as it turned out to be.  Instead, we get ersatz concoctions like HOLIDAY INN.

TheaterMe
#80Brigadoon
Posted: 1/4/18 at 11:57am

There are some decent audios of the Encores production on you tube. I have seen no videos. I keep looking. Nothing can re-create the wonder of the show I saw, but anything is appreciated.

TheBroadwayBubble Profile Photo
TheBroadwayBubble
#81Brigadoon
Posted: 6/29/19 at 2:36am

Could this production be headed to Broadway soon? Considering how Stephanie and Kelli are both free for some time and there will be plenty of open theaters in the winter, I think it's likely. Block has expressed an interest in reprising her role. Would love to see Steven do this on Broadway.

SpookyFish13
#82Brigadoon
Posted: 6/29/19 at 1:11pm

TheBroadwayBubble said: "Could this production be headed to Broadway soon? Considering how Stephanie and Kelli are both free for some time and there will be plenty of open theaters in the winter, I think it's likely. Block has expressed an interest in reprising her role. Would love to see Steven do this on Broadway."

I would LOVE to see this happen!