pixeltracker

Rolling Stone exclusive on THE CHER SHOW songs, concept, cast,etc.

Rolling Stone exclusive on THE CHER SHOW songs, concept, cast,etc.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Rolling Stone exclusive on THE CHER SHOW songs, concept, cast,etc.
Posted: 4/17/18 at 9:44am

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/cher-musical-broadway-cast-bob-mackie-costumes-w519224

Set to open on Broadway in November after a limited run in Chicago, The Cher Showtouches on the various high points of her 50-plus-year career, from her early days with Sonny Bono up through her solo career, reinvention as an actress, later hits and farewell tour. It includes 30 songs – from "I Got You Babe" to "Believe."

It has experienced theatrical hands at the helm, including book writer Rick Elice (Jersey Boys) and director Jason Moore (Avenue Q). For added period authentic, costume designer Bob Mackie – who stitched many of Cher’s most skin-revealing outfits back in the day – is onboard as well, recreating many of those costumes.

But any similarity to previous jukebox musicals ends about there: Few sound as downright avant-garde as The Cher Show. In keeping with one of her legacies – the variety series she hosted with Sonny and then on her own – the musical is structured as if it were a live-taping of a variety show that just happens to be about her life. Cher herself will be portrayed by three different actresses representing her at different points in her life: in the 1960s, the '70s and the '80s and onward. And all three Chers will be onstage at the same time, often giving each other advice about Cher's love life and career.

"The challenge was how do you not do another show that feels like a straight-up linear musical biography?” says book writer Rick Elice. "It's kind of a grand experiment. She's associated with the variety format, and I was looking for a license to make it a bit trippier than that."

hurahaw Profile Photo
hurahaw
#2Rolling Stone exclusive on THE CHER SHOW songs, concept, cast,etc.
Posted: 4/17/18 at 10:42am

"And all three Chers will be onstage at the same time, often giving each other advice about Cher's love life and career."

CHER Presents: Three Tall Women! The Musical! 

Cats ~ Fiddler on the Roof ~ The Color Purple ~ Kinky Boots ~ The Phantom of the Opera ~ Holiday Inn ~ Matilda ~ Sunset Boulevard ~ Hello, Dolly! ~ War Paint ~ Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 ~ Waitress ~ Hello, Dolly! ~ Three Tall Women ~ Mean Girls ~ SpongeBob ~ Once On This Island

barcelona20
#3Rolling Stone exclusive on THE CHER SHOW songs, concept, cast,etc.
Posted: 4/17/18 at 11:04am

I guess the only thing I'd ask is a variety show format? Really?