pixeltracker

Anyone know what happened to Taylor Trensch tonight?- Page 2

Anyone know what happened to Taylor Trensch tonight?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#25Anyone know what happened to Taylor Trensch tonight?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 9:51am

When I saw "Sunset" with Betty Buckley, she left at the intermission, and they simply said "Please welcome Karen Mason to the role of Norma Desmond."  Mason came in and nailed "As if..." and stopped the show, cold. Buckley's act one was beautifully sung, thrillingly so, but so muted with Joe, she seemed to be playing the end. I later saw the show again, and she gave the same performance.  (She never captured Norma's outre presence, only her pathos and pain, which made the ending weak. Another topic.)  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#26Anyone know what happened to Taylor Trensch tonight?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 6:40pm

mailhandler777 said: "oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "I’ve only seen a few mid-show replacements, but my favorite was during the revival of Hair. Caissie Levy left the show about halfway through the second act due to illness. She had left at a natural moment, but instead of stopping and announcing an understudy would be finishing the show, they just had the understudy, Nicole Lewis, who was on stage finish the show. But because of the nature of the show, they couldn’t just pretend this new person was Sheila. So they used her “Tribe Name” (I think it was Sunny) and randomly inserted her into the story. I understand why they did it, but it was confusing to a lot of the audience until they made the announcement and gave her a special
bow.
"

I believe Caissie was kicked in the face during Black Boys/White Boys and Jackie Burns was on vacation at the time.
"

That does sound correct. I recalled it being one of those events you could never plan for and just totally had to role with however possible.

qafgenius122
#27Anyone know what happened to Taylor Trensch tonight?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 7:16pm

Another cool instance of this happening, not quite mid show, but well you'll see...

Yesterday the actress who plays Polly Chapman (Madeline Weinstein) in Harry Potter ending up calling out sick for the evening performance, otherwise known as Part 2, and there was an announcement right before the show began and there were no inserts in the program, so clearly it happened relatively last minute as the break between parts is like 2 hours give or take. Malika Samuel went on, race aside, Malika is African-American, I did wonder how a switch like that would affect the show were it a principal character; Harry, Hermione, etc.  Would the audience care? Do they need to care? Would a more well rounded NYC theatre goer be affected differently than a tourist who is here for a few days to see s couple shows) Im sure any understudy is more than capable in their respective roles, (they've been going on the past few weeks as actors take their vacations) but as its a play in 2 parts, it is almost like a mid show substitution, in a way. Just kinda found this interesting and on topic.

seanmcdonagh121
#28Anyone know what happened to Taylor Trensch tonight?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 7:22pm

For what it's worth, I saw Taylor in the show a few weeks back and truthfully his voice at that particular performance wasn't up to scratch. His voice broke on the higher notes which was particularly disappointing after paying so much for our tickets. I understand actors are people too and they have their off days but it just seemed as though he shouldn't have been on at all that evening. 

Videos