pixeltracker

Will We Ever See a Grey Gardens Revival?- Page 2

Will We Ever See a Grey Gardens Revival?

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#25Will We Ever See a Grey Gardens Revival?
Posted: 9/2/18 at 7:21pm

Kelli is a bit too sweet and reserved for the Little Edie role in act two. Cheno will have a hard time disappearing into the role. Her personality is too strong.

Why would Benanti be wrong for the part in 10+ years? She's too young now, but could handle the classical singing in act one and then transform into the more character singing in act two.

BwayJudd
#26Will We Ever See a Grey Gardens Revival?
Posted: 9/2/18 at 7:30pm

I think Laura Benanti would be perfect in 8-10 years! I saw the original off broadway and when it opened on Broadway. It will be hard for anyone to touch Christine’s performance, but I have faith that Benanti could of anyone.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#27Will We Ever See a Grey Gardens Revival?
Posted: 9/2/18 at 8:12pm

The range required for Little Edie is rather traditional. Ebersole sang the hell out of the score. People tend to forget how demanding the first act is; the show isn't only the iconic patter songs.  "Will You" alone says much. I agree with two posters above that the first act is under-appreciated. "Daddy's Girl" is a brilliant song with a beautiful melodic line, to name but one.  But I love the first act, and it's the one I tend to listen to in my car.

But oh, the character numbers are sublime. I'll never forget hearing "...Like My Corn" the first time. Master class. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling