pixeltracker

It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.- Page 2

It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.

brendasugarbaker
#25It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 2:01pm

I could see a few NYC comics making a more off-kilter production work. Peter Smith is non-binary and would make a beautiful Frank. Any of the Three Busy Debras would make a fun Columbia and Catherine Cohen as Magenta is a perfect match. I don't think there's any role in the show Erin Markey wouldn't kill. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 2:24pm

Yes, Erin Markey is perfect for this show!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#27It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 2:28pm

Fosse, The Book of Mormon is filled with profanity but it's not a particularly sexual show. The closest we get is the baptism song which is fairly tame.

There's also Spooky Mormon Hell Dream, but to me, it seems that much of the profanity and themes of the show itself push the R envelope much further than any version of Rocky Horror I've seen (or performed).  And then there's the argument that because there isn't anything really sexually explicit (though Rocky Horror is pretty tame by today's standards) on Broadway, Rocky Horror could do well for that very reason by...filling the void, shall we say...and providing some theatrical diversity on Broadway.  The events of 9/11 aside, staging the revival at Circle in the Square was going to take a long time to recoup, given the size of the house.

Based on the promo video, that Stratford production looks fantastic.  I saw the 1999 West End revival featuring the updates and revisions to the script and subsequently performed in the US premiere of the new script as Brad prior to the Broadway revival.  Never got to see the Broadway revival, but I'd love to experience a big, loud creative production again.

Personally, I'd love to see Jake Shears as Frank.  Or perhaps go in completely the opposite direction with Marc Kudisch.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 2:34pm

Shears is a fantastic idea, Matt. That's the sort of energy you need in the show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#29It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 3:20pm

I just did Rocky Horror with Justin Lonesome, fresh from Australian Book of Mormon, as Frank, and he KILLED it.

Mister Matt
#30It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 4:35pm

Shears is a fantastic idea, Matt. That's the sort of energy you need in the show.

I'll admit I have such a crush on him.  He's a firecracker.

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#31It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 4:44pm

I love Jake Shears but you need an actor who can sing to play Frank and I don't think his acting is strong enough. 

@darquegk I went to school with Justin. I wish I could have seen him as Frank. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#32It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 4:46pm

Mister Matt said: "Shears is a fantastic idea, Matt. That's the sort of energy you need in the show.

I'll admit I have such a crush on him. He's a firecracker.

"

I've seen him twice in concert in the last year in NYC- he puts on a hell of a show.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#33It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 7:41pm

Lonesome has the most incredible voice- when he sang “I’m Going Home” he didn’t do any Joan Crawford/Bette Davis schtick. He just sang, and the audience was transfixed.

Mister Matt
#34It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
Posted: 11/15/18 at 10:40pm

"I've seen him twice in concert in the last year in NYC- he puts on a hell of a show."

The Ta-Dah tour was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.