pixeltracker

THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein

THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#1THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 11:18am

Big news day! From Deadline:

"A24, IAC and Scott Rudin and Eli Bush are producing a film adaptation of the four-time Tony-winning play The Humans by Stephen Karam. Beanie Feldstein, Jayne Houdyshell (reprising her Tony-winning role), Richard Jenkins, Amy Schumer and Steven Yeun will star. Karam will adapt and direct the film version of his play."

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#2THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 11:21am

Sadly never got to see this play, can't wait for this film!!! 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#3THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 11:25am

I really enjoyed the show when I saw it staged at Pittsburgh Public. The fusion of conventional family drama with intrusive elements of psychological and even supernatural horror really got to me. This is going to be one of those unclassifiable cult films, if they do it right: I can't see it going mainstream and being a tentpole, but it's almost certain to be beloved by art film and genre film fans.

SomethingPeculiar
#4THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 11:32am

darquegk said: "I really enjoyed the show when I saw it staged at Pittsburgh Public. The fusion of conventional family drama with intrusive elements of psychological and even supernatural horror really got to me. This is going to be one of those unclassifiable cult films, if they do it right: I can't see it going mainstream and being a tentpole, but it's almost certain to be beloved by art film and genre film fans."

Yeah, Schumer's the biggest name here, and even she has a spotty box office record. But it's a good "prestige" cast, and A24 specializes in releasing indie films, especially if there's awards buzz. They did Lady Bird, Moonlight, Hereditary, First Reformed, Disaster Artist, etc.

It will be interesting to see how Karam directs the film, has he ever directed his own stage work?

SomethingPeculiar
#5THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 11:36am

Just occurred to me that the Grandmother character isn't listed in the cast. I wonder if they're trying to get a name, or if the role has been cut? (Glenda Jackson? Angela Lansbury? Judi Dench? Maggie Smith?) 

Impossible2
#6THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 11:39am

Hopefully more people will understand the film than they did the play...

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#7THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 11:41am

SomethingPeculiar said: "Just occurred to me that the Grandmother character isn't listed in the cast. I wonder if they're trying to get a name, or if the role has been cut? (Glenda Jackson? Angela Lansbury? Judi Dench? Maggie Smith?)"

I’d love to see Estelle Parsons as the Grandmother I think she’d be brilliant

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#8THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 4:37pm

Jane Houdyshell but no Reed Birney? That is a real d*ck move.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#9THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 4:39pm

Yeah...I don’t think Richard Jenkins is going to sell any tickets. We don’t know, maybe Reed didn’t want to do it (which I find unlikely).

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 4:56pm

Wow, so many things about this. 

I didn't care for this play at all (and not because I didn't understand it, for the record). But even if I did think it was a good play, I still wouldn't think it can translate well onto the screen. Just seems like there's no reason to make a film out of this. And with Amy Schumer? Good lord. Hopefully she'll surprise us all, but nothing about her career so far indicates to me that she will be at all good in something like this. Even Beanie Feldstein, who I think is very good, seems kind of wrong for the role. But then again, I thought Sarah Steele was pretty awful, so I'm not really complaining. Richard Jenkins seems like a good fit. 

I would hate to think that the likes of Glenda Jackson, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, or Angela Lansbury would be willing to sign onto a project where all they do is sleep on a couch and occasionally babble nonsense. And I doubt the producers would be willing to shell out the money for a star of their caliber when the role is so thankless. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#11THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 5:03pm

I thought the first 3/4 of the play was pretty terrific, and was lost by the final 1/4 that strove for metaphysical pith and I thought fell way short. By contrast, I thought Sarah Steele was superb and went a long way toward making an iffy evening much more rewarding. 

But isn't this a story that's built around 5 or 6 people stuck in ONE APARTMENT for the duration of the script? Not what I would consider a cinematic property by any stretch.

Alex Kulak2
#12THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 5:10pm

Imagine if they did a thing like BIrdman, where they cheat it to look like one continuous take. That would be amazing.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#13THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 5:16pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Imagine if they did a thing likeBIrdman,where they cheat it to look like one continuous take. That would be amazing."

How would that be amazing? It takes place in one apartment and plays out in real time. Not even close to what Birdman did. Not to mention, doing it that way would make it seem even more like a play, making the cinematization of the material seem even more unnecessary than it already is. 

SomethingPeculiar
#14THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 5:17pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Jane Houdyshell but no Reed Birney? That is a real d*ck move."

My first thought was maybe Reed Birney already has another film or TV project lined up in the fall when this shoots? Or maybe Rudin has beef with him now? Richard Jenkins is a 2x Oscar nominee, and he's a respected actor in the eyes of critics and #FilmTwitter, but he's no star.

Perhaps they will expand the play a bit into the neighborhood beyond the apartment? But I think the claustrophobia is what made Mantello's production so beautiful. 

Updated On: 3/13/19 at 05:17 PM

Alex Kulak2
#15THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 5:31pm

That's the thing, I don't know how well it would work if they expand it beyond the Thanksgiving Dinner, or set it outside the apartment. The thing that made The Humans special was how thoroughly it communicated the Blake's history, their secrets, and their fears in that one scene.

Also, if the one-take Birdman style doesn't happen, I would be interested to see how Karam would depict the conversations that happen simultaneously in different parts of the house. There's a really striking author's note that says "Life continues in all spaces at all times". I'd be interested to see if Karam will keep that rule in the film, and how he'd translate it.

Fosse76
#16THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 5:37pm

LesWickedly said: "Yeah...I don’t think Richard Jenkins is going to sell any tickets."

And Reed Birney can?

Impossible2
#17THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 5:47pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "I thought the first 3/4 of the play was pretty terrific, and was lost by the final 1/4 that strove for metaphysical pith and I thought fell way short. "

You didn't get the ending either huh

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#18THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 6:24pm

For me, The Humans is the worst case of the Emperor having no clothes in the past decade. I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about, and certainly don't think the play makes for natural cinematic material.

That being said, it is an exciting cast.

Someone in a Tree2
#19THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 6:31pm

"You didn't get the ending either huh"

Nope, neither I nor any of the friends with whom I saw the OBC. I really wish I could have seen whatever show the Pulitzer committee, Tony committee, et al got to see. Emperor's new clothes indeed.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#20THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 6:39pm

Fosse76 said: "LesWickedly said: "Yeah...I don’t think Richard Jenkins is going to sell any tickets."

And Reed Birney can?
"

Most definitely not. Jenkins will be great, but doesn’t seem like the name justified in replacing Birney if they were already bringing Jayne Houdyshell.

Someone in a Tree2
#21THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 6:52pm

J.K. Simmons would have been my pick over Richard Jenkins. Multiple Oscar nominee (and winner) with a very fervent fan base, whose roots were on a Broadway stage (we saw him in the '92 revival of GUYS AND DOLLS).

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#22THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 6:54pm

I have nothing but faith in the producing minds who run A24. This sounds like a great cast. The casting of Beanie Feldstein is especially inspired. I loved the original production and hope everything that made the text exciting onstage translates to the screen.

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#23THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 7:33pm

I think the play has its pluses and minuses, but I liked it.  And I like Stephen Karam and the cast a lot.   So this is great news.   Part of the whole effect of the play is the set - the mood that the play creates in the whole environment.  I'm sure they have plans in mind, but it will be very interesting to see how they translate this element of the play to the screen where you can't "feel" the set like you can in the play.

Updated On: 3/13/19 at 07:33 PM

perfectliar
#24THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 7:53pm

I don't understand all the hand wringing over this being set entirely in one location. Have you all really never seen a movie with a single set piece? They're really not that uncommon.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#25THE HUMANS Film starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell, Amy Schumer, Beanie Feldstein
Posted: 3/13/19 at 7:55pm

The casting is simply inspired all around. Yeun and Feldstein are particularly exciting choices. I loved this play on Broadway. It doesn’t immediately scream film (an HBO adaptation in the style of DINNER WITH FRIENDS or WIT seems more apt), but I’m excited for everyone involved. Oh, and it makes complete sense that Jenkins is in this, the better known names in the cast are probably the only reason they were able to keep Houdyshell. Jenkins might not sell tickets, but he’s an awards magnet, which often does translate into visibility and higher BO results. The original Broadway cast was impeccable. I find this cast to be so original and compelling. A24 is going to handle this beautifully too.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"