Best Scene Changes

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#75Best Scene Changes
Posted: 6/3/20 at 9:12pm

joevitus said: "Are only shows we personallysawvalid? Surely the emergence of Loveland in the original production of Follies was the greatest scene change, ever."

I literally stopped breathing for a minute or more. Only noticed what I was doing (er, NOT doing) when I began to feel faint.

As long as I am posting, Jerome Robbins' transition into the dance at the gym with red streamers dropping from the flies gave me chills, even though I watched his last revival from the stage manager's desk.

Updated On: 6/3/20 at 09:12 PM

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#76Best Scene Changes
Posted: 6/3/20 at 9:22pm

This is more of a scene-within-a-scene change (beginning and end).  I loved it when I saw it on stage.  I think it's OK for me to post this video.

Non sibi sed patriae

NakedMaid Profile Photo
NakedMaid
#77Best Scene Changes
Posted: 6/4/20 at 7:29pm

Finally a thread I can get behind!

Peter Pan - I saw the national tour of Peter Pan as my first live theatre experience. Watching them fly in the air could not compete for my attention as I was glued to watching the nursery set pieces just fold into itself and the beds disappear before my eyes. It was that moment I knew I liked live theatre! 

Titanic - The whole sinking sequence was intense and astounding to watch then, in a matter of moments, it was gone and the stage was vacant with the survivors standing downstage singing.

Titanic at Signature in DC - It was so simple but so effective. When the ship sinks, they lowered luggage and furniture and 'dead' cast members from the ceiling (the production was in the round). Just watching everything float above you as the score soars, The audience felt like you were underwater looking up.

The Light ... Piazza - The opening moment when the arches open up, the shops roll, on the leaves blow in the wind and the bike rolls across. I will never forget it.

The Father - I loved how they used small set changes to confuse the audience just as the Father was slipping into dementia. So smart.

The Play that Goes Wrong - I can't believe this was passed over. Maybe not a set 'change' but C'mon.

Shrek - edging again on 'set change' I hated the show but to see those 3 interlocked turntables move the shrek family downstage was really amazing.

I'm also remembering Brief Encounter having really cool set stuff.

Seconding several already mentioned: 
The Mountaintop - Didn't the hotel room basically fall forward to where the back wall ended up on top?Drowse Chaperone - everything
Fun Home - Proscenium Staging set change was memorable

ARTc3
#78Best Scene Changes
Posted: 6/4/20 at 9:46pm

The opening sequence and, She's A Nut, from the original Broadway production of On The Twentieth Century.

The transition into Loveland from the original Broadway and later, the London production of Follies.

The opening sequence from the original Broadway production of Pippin.

There are so many more…

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#79Best Scene Changes
Posted: 6/4/20 at 10:01pm

I’ve been on a bit of a Hairspray nostalgia kick, I really enjoy the “Welcome to the 60s reprise” scene change.

tomwsjr
#80Best Scene Changes
Posted: 6/5/20 at 8:25am

Dreamgirls, end of Act I - And I’m Telling You to Love Love You Baby - OUTSTANDING!!!!!!