Hellinger Theater

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#1Hellinger Theater
Posted: 12/25/19 at 5:39am

It was open to the public last night for a Christmas Eve celebration, so we wandered in. I had forgotten just how lavishly beautiful the interior of that theater is. It may be the most beautiful one on Broadway, and I’m happy to see that the church has kept it in impeccable condition. I was truly stunned at its beauty. And I lamented that it was no longer a theater. It may be open today for Christmas as well, and if you’re in the neighborhood I would highly recommend stopping in. But it is heartbreaking to realize that it may never function as a theater again.

Updated On: 12/25/19 at 05:39 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2Hellinger Theater
Posted: 12/25/19 at 8:18am

Better a church than wind up as all the other movie palaces that once lined both sides of Times Square - all demolished

Loews Capitol
Rivoli
Mark Strand
Loews State
Paramount
Criterion
DeMille a/k/a Mayfair
Roxy

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/25/19 at 08:18 AM

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#3Hellinger Theater
Posted: 12/25/19 at 8:12pm

Several years ago if you could find the building super, they would let you into the theater during the day. I only got to see the lobby and the auditorium itself was dark, but I never got to see any theater there, so that was as close as I got to appreciating the interior.

Saps48
#4Hellinger Theater
Posted: 12/26/19 at 11:49pm

Anyone can visit the church/theater, either before or during their religious services, and probably at other times as well. You don't have to wait for a special event or concert.  Just be respectful and don't gawk, and you can soak up the atmosphere to your heart's content.  (And you might pick up a little spirituality, too, lol.)