Micki Grant

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1Micki Grant
Posted: 8/22/21 at 12:42am

I'm not seeing other confirmations of this yet, but per Jason Robert Brown on Twitter, the trailblazing composer/lyricist/playwright/actor Micki Grant has passed at age 80.

If this is true, may her memory be a blessing.

Micki Grant

Wayman_Wong
#2Micki Grant
Posted: 8/23/21 at 4:59pm

Micki Grant, an actress and 2-time Tony nominee for writing the book and score to ''Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope,'' has died at age 80. (Concord Theatricals has confirmed her passing.) Grant made history with this 1972 revue, a celebration of African-American culture. She has been cited as the first woman to write both the music and lyrics for a Broadway musical and the first woman to win a Grammy for the score of a Broadway musical.

Anyone recall the original ''Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope''? It was Tony-nominated for Best Musical and ran for 1,068 performances. In 2016, the York Theatre staged a limited run, and in 2018, Encores! Off-Center revived it, choreographed and directed by Savion Glover.

Grant got her third Tony nomination for contributing to the score of ''Working'' (1978 ), alongside Stephen Schwartz, Craig Carnelia, James Taylor, Mary Rodgers and Susan Birkenhead. (And she wrote two of my favorite songs from ''Working'': ''If I Could've Been'' and ''Cleanin' Women.'' )

As an actress, Grant performed Off-Broadway in the early '60s in Jean Genet's ''The Blacks'' with James Earl Jones and Cicely Tyson.

And she played attorney Peggy Nolan on NBC's ''Another World'' in the first storyline written for an African-American in a daytime soap.

Her accomplishments and awards were many. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Micki-Grant-Composer-Playwright-and-Performer-Has-Died-at-Age-80-20210822

Updated On: 8/23/21 at 04:59 PM

Wayman_Wong
#3Micki Grant
Posted: 8/23/21 at 5:14pm

Here's Micki Grant singing ''So Little Time'' from ''Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope.'' It's a lovely song that sounds like it might've been her life's philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VRjBkKS0w

Updated On: 8/23/21 at 05:14 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4Micki Grant
Posted: 8/23/21 at 5:16pm

Saw Cope and really enjoyed it way back than

Poster Emeritus

Videos