Happy Feet on Broadway?

BwayLB
#1Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 9/7/21 at 11:19am

Happy Feet came at the stage of my life when I was beginning to really enjoy musicals. Its been 15 years now and 10 since the sequel. With climate change still resonate, how would you feel if Happy Feet was adapted for the stage?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 9/7/21 at 11:44am

I guess it could work if they took a Lion King / Spongebob approach to representing the penguins onstage - i.e, not trying to hide the fact that they're human actors, and instead using the costumes to suggest it. Everyone in tuxedos? Might be fun. 

It's definitely a story that lends itself well to further musicalization. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 9/7/21 at 11:46am

I LOVE Happy Feet!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BwayLB
#4Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 9/7/21 at 12:06pm

JBroadway said: "I guess it could work if they took a Lion King / Spongebob approach to representing the penguins onstage - i.e, not trying to hide the fact that they're human actors, and instead using the costumes to suggest it. Everyone in tuxedos? Might be fun.

It's definitely a story that lends itself well to further musicalization.
"

I loved the Spongebob costumes

Chaz Hands
#5Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 11:29am

Per the Broadway Across America survey I just got, it seems like there is a team currently working on this.

It was listed as a show in development alongside other productions such as Thelma & Louise, Coco, and Night at the Museum to name a few.

BwayLB
#6Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 11:38am

^ I’ll believe it when I see it! I mean I would be eager if it was the 2010’s again. But since I outgrew the movies ever since then, who knows what my mindset will be.

pablitonizer
#7Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 12:15pm

Chaz Hands said: "Per the Broadway Across America survey I just got, it seems like there is a team currently working on this.

It was listed as a show in development alongside other productions such as Thelma & Louise, Coco, and Night at the Museum to name a few.
"

Isn't it "Happy Feet" a jukebox movie kind of thing? I remember hearing songs like "Somebody to love", and "my way" so I'm wondering if they're developing original songs for the adaptation or keep the jukebox aspect of it?

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#8Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 12:52pm

That film hasn’t really had much staying power over the years. The original film was pretty fun, but the environmental message felt VERY forced and kind of out of left field. The sequel didn’t do as well at the box office and wasn’t well received by critics. I don’t think it would be a wise decision to put it on stage.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 12:58pm

Getting the rights to all those songs would be a pain, but if Moulin Rouge can do I guess anyone else can.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BwayLB
#10Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 1:01pm

seaweedjstubbs said: "That film hasn’t really had much staying power over the years. The original film was pretty fun, but the environmental message felt VERY forced and kind of out of left field. The sequel didn’t do as well at the box office and wasn’t well received by critics. I don’t think it would be a wise decision to put it on stage."

The environmental message is one of few reasons  shut it all out of my life since I was 19 or 20. I’m 31 now and I’ve grown bitter towards it fading into somewhat obsecuirity. It was a thing of beauty in its time. Tapping penguins I mean

KevinKlawitter
#11Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 1:11pm

Chaz Hands said: "Per the Broadway Across America survey I just got, it seems like there is a team currently working on this.

"

I just got that survey, and it raised my eyebrow a bit to see it listed among the others.

I saw that movie in theaters when I was a kid and it had pretty much zero staying power in my mind. That there was a song by Prince in it and I cannot remember a note doesn't exactly speak well of its prospects for the stage. But if some producers want to give it a shot, go nuts. I could see it having some fun opportunities for choreography if nothing else. 

Chaz Hands
#12Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 3:11pm

Here’s the full list of “shows/tours in development” according to the survey:

In Dreams

Begin Again (music by Pat Monahan)

Hercules

The Bedwetter

Goddess

Buena Vista Social Club

Swept Away

Death Becomes Her

Clue 2

A Wonderful World

Freaky Friday

Practical Magic (music by Norah Jones)

Thelma & Louise

Tammy Faye

The Wanderer

Happy Feet

Gun & Powder

The Princess Bride

Just for One Day

Night at the Musuem

Gatsby (music by Florence Welch)

Redwood

The Lost Boys

Real Women Have Curves

Queen of Versailles

Coco

Galileo

Working Girl

Purple Rain

The Lonely Few

Black Swan

Boop!

Enchanted

Devil Wears Prada

Smash

A Wrinkle in Time

The Preacher’s Wife

Cruella

Martian Child

The Greatest Showman

Pump Up the Volume

The Karate Kid

Soul Train

Updated On: 4/3/24 at 03:11 PM

BwayLB
#13Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/3/24 at 11:04pm

^ Almost fooled me

BwayLB
#14Happy Feet on Broadway?
Posted: 4/5/24 at 10:48pm

I hate to double post. But I want to say if the developments are true, I would be eager if it was the late 2000’s or early 2010’s again. I haven’t seen the movie since around that time which is forever ago!

Videos