Jeff Tupolski
#50Oliver Awards - Watch in US?
Posted: 4/3/23 at 11:19am

Very happy for Paul Mescal and Jodie Comer, two of my favorite rising stars

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51Oliver Awards - Watch in US?
Posted: 4/3/23 at 11:27am

Also announced this morning that “Standing at the Sky’s Edge” is transferring to the Gillian Lynne early next year. So anyone who is upset they missed it will have a chance to see this incredible show, now!

DaveyG
#52Oliver Awards - Watch in US?
Posted: 4/3/23 at 11:32am

Jordan Catalano said: "I find it interesting that a “jukebox” musical like “Standing at the Sky’s Edge” can win best score because of the new orchestrations of the songs. I’m curious if with how many Jukebox shows we have now, the Tony Awards will begin to do this."

Oh, I hope not. The music award rules for the Oliviers is bonkers. A very funny quote that I wholeheartedly agree with from sf on the other chat board: 

"That music/score/orchestrations category is ridiculous every year. Whoever dreamed it up is completely clueless about music. Most years they end up with the equivalent of nominating a satsuma, a pear, and an apple for an award for best banana.

yyys
#53Oliver Awards - Watch in US?
Posted: 4/3/23 at 11:39am

I hope they turn the down the volume on the music.....the sound was quite deafening when I saw it.  

Jordan Catalano said: "Also announced this morning that “Standing at the Sky’s Edge” is transferring to the Gillian Lynne early next year. So anyone who is upset they missed it will have a chance to see this incredible show, now!"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54Oliver Awards - Watch in US?
Posted: 4/3/23 at 11:40am

I don’t disagree with that. I just meant with how musical theater is now, with such a large amount of new shows being “jukebox” shows, if it was something that could happen here.