pixeltracker

What should I see in London in October- Page 2

What should I see in London in October

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#25What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/25/22 at 4:52pm

Thank you! I’m very interested in Cabaret but it’s extremely expensive and I still have my fingers crossed that it will come here. Decisions, decisions…

I’m thinking it’s probably going to be The Doctor or A Single Man.

JasonC3
#26What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/25/22 at 6:13pm

Prices for Cabaret fluctuate a lot and a new emcee is just starting, so might be worth keeping an eye on it.  Also, here's a post from theatreboard.co.uk in case it helps:

Post by Dr Tom on Sep 23, 2022 at 3:44pm

"If you enter the TodayTix lottery, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose and then be offered Dress Circle seats for £55 each, which is cheaper than normal, but they will only sell them in twos, so limited use for a lot of people (myself included)."

JasonC3
#27What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/26/22 at 7:11am

Good to buy London tickets with the dollar gaining rapidly on the pound.

MentalVortex
#28What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/27/22 at 9:41pm

Not sure what to choose for you but I will say, The Crucible is getting a recording which will most likely end up on the NT at Home site. 

I’m hearing really really good things about Alabama Sky. 

The Doctor received rave reviews when it played way back when. So, we know that’s meant to be excellent. Also has stage titan, Juliet Stevenson.

Cabaret is fantastic. No doubt you’d enjoy it but will most likely get a transfer. 

Borkman has three incredibly strong actors in the leads. Hearing good things except people not liking the stage design which isn’t a reason not to go. 

Good hasn’t begun previews but people have spoken fondly of the original Donmar production. Dominic Cooke is reliable and it’s David Tennant’s return to the stage in a number of years. 

There’s also Tennessee Williams’ The Milk Train at Charing Cross Theatre. It’s a rarely produced play. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#29What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/27/22 at 9:44pm

I really appreciate the insight and suggestions. Thanks, everyone!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/27/22 at 11:12pm

I hadn’t heard “Crucible” was officially getting a n NTLive recording so that makes me insanely happy - I’m missing that by a few weeks. I’m also really looking forward to “The Doctor”, everyone has just been raving about it. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/28/22 at 2:15am

The Donmar Band’s Visit seems to be getting some early buzz on that other board. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MentalVortex
#32What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/28/22 at 7:40am

*** Should have stated that The Crucible will be screened in cinemas after its run and will then most likely be put on the NT at home. 

But yes, it’s getting a recording. I think the next one after that is Othello with Giles Terera.

Alabama Sky may also end up on their site as they’ve been adding shows that weren’t screened in cinemas: All of Us, The Corn is Green, Trouble in Mind, etc. 

I’m super super excited for The Doctor. I never saw it when it sold out the Almeida and I can’t even remember if it actually began its West End transfer before the lockdown. It will be my first time seeing Stevenson on stage, I can’t wait!