What new work to see today

cjmclaughlin10
#1What new work to see today
Posted: 2/12/23 at 8:38am

Looking to end my trip with a new work (play or musical) 

Im thinking my choices are 

Leopoldstadt

Titanique 

Wolf Play (MCC Theatre) 

Elyria (Atlantic Theatre Company) 

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#2What new work to see today
Posted: 2/12/23 at 9:48am

Tough one! I haven't seen Elyria yet (seeing it in a few weeks)

I did enjoy Titanique - definitely if you're just looking for a fun, silly time, that's your pick.

But if you're looking for something with a little more substance, I'd so go with either Wolf Play or Leopoldstadt.

Which one, though, is a tough call. Leopoldstadt is the more high-profile, with a lot more buzz, and a good candidate for the Tony. So you might be glad you saw it. It's also very good, though it's pretty dense at times.

Wolf Play is more of a lesser-known gem; not as intellectual as Leopoldstadt, but it has a lot of humor and pathos. And the staging is creative. I guess you could say that Leopoldstadt is the kind of play you can appreciate while reading the script (plus it was filmed for NTL), while Wolf Play is definitely one to see live.

Even so, if I'm being brutally honest with myself: if I were in from out of town, I'd probably end up going for the one that's more high-profile, that more people are buzzing about, so I could feel like I checked it off the list. And that would be Leopoldstadt.

Updated On: 2/12/23 at 09:48 AM

cjmclaughlin10
#3What new work to see today
Posted: 2/12/23 at 10:40am

Thanks so much for your thoughtful advice  definitely a hard choice between Wolf Play and Leopoldstadt because while I like prestige plays, I really miss seeing creative new work off Broadway 

I was looking at Rush tickets for Wolf Play on Today Tix but didn’t want to pay the $8 fee. Had i been willing  to buy this morning, I would have had the freedom to do one of the downtown brunch spots I have always wanted to try

oh well. Let’s see where the day takes me! 

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#4What new work to see today
Posted: 2/12/23 at 10:37pm

So what did you see?

Videos