News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JoeW4

JoeW4 Profile Photo
Member Name: JoeW4
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
 May 20 2024, 05:18:55 PM

Given the number of Broadway musical revivals vs. the number of new musicals that come out each year (especially with how many of them flop, with little cultural impression) it feels like the answer to the OP's question is: the vast majority of them!

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions
 May 6 2024, 01:09:18 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Eligibility is for the 2023 calendar year and USUALLY limited to shows that had their world premiere in 2023 but sometimes there's some fungibility there."

Yes and no. There's a certain degree of fungibility backward in time, but not forward. Plays that had their world premiere in 2024 (like The Ally) are categorically ineligible for today's prize.

The grey area comes in when you're looki

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions
 May 5 2024, 10:28:53 PM

I haven't plugged anything on here in a while, but I posted my Pulitzer thoughts/predictions on TikTok last month

In hearing other people's hopes/predictions since then, I do wonder if Flex has a better shot than I gave it credit for (I have it on my "honorable mentions" list). If so, I wouldn't be mad! I liked Flex a lot.

I also heard several people throw out Wet Brain as a potential winner after I posted this, which I was surprised by. I had mixed feelings about the play, so maybe that's just my taste influencing my predictions, but I'm not convinced. We'll see!

I'm also continuously warring with myself about whether Stereophonic is too high up on my predictions list or not. As I said in the video, I think it's an intuitive pick in some ways, and counterintuitive in other ways - and I go back and forth basically by the day lol. Again, we'll see!

Otherwise though, I pretty much stand by everything I said!

The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
 Apr 29 2024, 11:10:32 PM

I'd argue that the lack of credibility people are noticing isn't a result of corruption, bias, or voting practices. It's a natural side-effect of being the only major award body in the entertainment industry to be working with such a small pool of competition for their top award (Best Musical). And while it's obviously subjective, many of us would go further and say that the pool of competition most years is not only small, but also weak. So until the Tonys change their rules

Tony Awards Eligibility 2023-2024
 Apr 26 2024, 05:33:17 PM

Ah sorry for the duplicate thread. Forgot we were doing a combined eligibility thread. Copy-pasted:

2 notable things right off the bat: 

--William Jackson Harper is considered Lead for Uncle Vanya. And for my money, his just became the best performance in the category.

--Solidified by today's ruling, my earlier speculation about the number of eligible performers in Lead Actress in a Play became confirmed. There are only 8 eligible contenders, meaning ther

delete
 Apr 26 2024, 05:23:51 PM

delete

Canceled Productions That Eventually Happened?
 Apr 25 2024, 06:24:25 PM

Not counting COVID-related ones (I agree with Kad's remark above) -- a recent one that comes to mind is Annie Baker's "Infinite Life" which was canceled at Signature before Atlantic picked it up a couple years lated. Granted, the press release did mention the "ongoing health and safety concerns" with COVID as a reason for the cancellation, but I've always assumed there was more to the story, given the fact that virtually every other theatre was back open. And in retrospect, the fact that Signature didn't reschedule it.

As I was typing this, I was reminded of the situation with the Sam Gold/Oscar Isaac Hamlet, which was supposed to play at TFANA, but Sam Gold pulled the production due to "insurmountable artistic differences." It technically doesn't fit the prompt of the thread since the Public (who eventually put it on) swooped in pretty much right away. But re-reading the NYT article was quite interesting -- I forgot just how bitter the contention was. I feel like we rarely see this sort of tension exposed publicly in the non-profit world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/14/theater/director-pulls-hamlet-from-theater-for-a-new-audience.html

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?
 Apr 23 2024, 08:19:11 PM

It's an interesting question -- I'd be curious to hear from people who have been attending Broadway shows for many decades, to hear theories about what might have caused a change, if there's been one. Because it seems to me that the hardest things about this process -- having to shepherd a large number of people into a confined space with assigned seats, in a short amount of time -- has theoretically stayed the exact same for however long they've been operating as Broadway ven

2024 Tony Predictions
 Apr 21 2024, 01:09:44 AM

Jeff Tupolski said: "I put five because I use GoldDerby’s prediction center and although they haven’t yet expanded the field to five nominees,they have nine women listed as leads, withAnika Noni Rose rounding out the actresses you mentioned.I thinkRose and Pill’s roles in Uncle Vanya have historically been nominatedin both lead and supporting categories, so I’m not sure if they’ll besubmittedwhere that site currently has them, but I’ll stick with t

2024 Tony Predictions
 Apr 20 2024, 11:49:02 AM

I'm seeing Mother Play in a few weeks, and avoiding the thread until then. Can someone indicate whether Celia Keenan-Bolger is likely to go Lead or Featured?

I ask because there's a very real chance that Lead Actress in a Play doesn't meet the threshold for an automatic 5 nominees. They need 9 eligible performers, right? So right now I count (in no particular order)

1. Sarah Paulson
2. Jessica Lange
3. Rachel McAdams
4. Laura Bell Bundy
5. Amy Rya

Why do so few New World Stages shows transfer to Broadway?
 Apr 17 2024, 09:18:00 AM

^But as chrishuyen was pointing out, New World Stages is a landlord, not a producer. So they’re not entitled to a financial stake in any Broadway transfers of shows that rent space from them.

Why do so few New World Stages shows transfer to Broadway?
 Apr 16 2024, 10:32:01 PM

Because it's a commercial venue, and the vast majority of OffBway-to-Bway transfers come from non-profits. It's actually quite unusual (at least in the last decade or so) for Broadway productions to originate in the commercial Off-Broadway sphere, without having a Non-Profit run in NYC first. And even when they do, they're usually comedy/concert/entertainment style shows (e.g. My Window, Freestyle Love Supreme, Oh Hello, Just For Us, etc.). In the last decade or so, the only excep

JORDAN at the Public
 Apr 14 2024, 11:35:43 AM

I saw it — it’s a WILD ride. I liked it a lot, but then again it’s right up my alley. It’s satirical, absurd, sometimes hypotonic, and increasingly surreal as it goes. Kind of all over the place too, though I did see the first preview.

The stylistic sensibility reminded me in some ways of Jeremy O. Harris’s “Daddy,” though it’s very much doing its own thing as well.

It’s a hard show to “recommend” without knowing

2024-2025 Broadway Season
 Apr 12 2024, 01:23:09 PM

It will be very strange if Yellow Face is deemed a new play rather than a revival. Granted, the original director is returning, which sometimes makes it a little bit more blurry. But the same was true for Blackbird, How I Learned to Drive, Gutenberg, etc. all of which were deemed revivals.

More importantly, the play is 17 years old, and I doubt they can make a case for calling this a protracted, continuous journey to Broadway the way they did for Harmony, The Visit, or Here Lies Love. It's clearly a case where they're choosing to bring back (aka "revive" an existing play in the canon, not a "long delayed transfer." 

Also, while there have been plenty of exceptions to this, the fact that it's been widely produced and licensed for 15+ years just further helps the case for calling this revival, in light of the other factors. 

EDIT: steve.sometime beat me to it! 

Patti LuPone Will Return to Broadway in THE ROOMMATE Opposite Mia Farrow
 Apr 11 2024, 07:19:00 PM

Count me as another person most excited that Jen Silverman is making their Broadway debut. Curious if the people judging the play have seen it -- I see it's been kicking around for a while, so I guess it's very possible that people in this thread have seen it or read it. I'll admit that I haven't, but what I HAVE seen of their work is the last thing I'd describe as a "snooze." They have a really distinct style, and a fun theatrical flair, from what I've seen.

Bernadette Peters & Lea Salonga to Lead OLD FRIENDS On Broadway
 Apr 8 2024, 12:00:30 PM

BMcGregor said: "Other than Prince of Broadway, I can't remember a true musical in there for a long long time..."

But by that same token, this is on-brand in the sense that it's an intuitive follow-up to Prince of Broadway. I'm not sure why MTC would choose "revues based on the works of musical theatre giants of the 2nd half of the 20th century" to be their specific niche when it comes to programming musicals, but at least there's a certain

Fall 2024 Shows
 Apr 5 2024, 11:59:56 PM

veronicamae said: "Thread on all things confirmed:https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1158164"

Also, Roundabout has announced they're doing David Henry Hwang's "Yellow Face" on Broadway in the Fall, starring Daniel Dae Kim. Followed by "English" in the winter, and "Pirates of Penzance" in the Spring. I'd guess they're excluded from EDSOSLO858's thread because they only include shows with official dates?

UNCLE VANYA Previews
 Apr 5 2024, 05:21:50 PM

hearthemsing22 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "this play is so over-produced, I reallywish we had gotten her translation of Three Sisters she was potentially going to do at NYTW instead."

Completely forgot that was a thing. Maybe it'll come up in 25/26?
"

If Heidi Schreck was ever attached to NYTW's Three Sisters, it was earlier in development. Clare Barron was the playwright attached to adapt it more recently, both

What’s the importance of the lift and turntable in hadestown?
 Mar 26 2024, 10:48:22 PM

I haven't seen the show since it opened in 2019, so unfortunately I can't name specific examples. But I distinctly remember feeling as though Chavkin made great use of the revolve and the elevator as tools to physically represent character relationships: distance, turbulence, and other dynamics that existed in the plot were heightened by the use of physical space, without feeling excessively literal.

That said, at the end of the day these are directorial choices. Like any direc

Rumor - A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Broadway Revival 2025
 Mar 24 2024, 09:25:12 PM

What's with the skepticism? Nothing says "Freaky Friday reunion vehicle" like A Little Night Music!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You