News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JoeW4

JoeW4 Profile Photo
Member Name: JoeW4
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Biggest disappointments from established teams?
 Jul 14 2024, 11:41:14 AM

One notable example was Do I Hear A Waltz, with Sondheim, Richard Rodgers, and Arthur Laurents. It was before my time, so maybe I shouldn't speak on it -- but it's widely regarded as an artistic failure, including by Sondheim himself IIRC.

And it seems like a great case study of why these disappointments can happen: when collaborations happen for the wrong reasons, and when you have people are great artists individually but not necessarily well-matched with each other.

Horror On Broadway?
 Dec 31 1899, 07:07:23 PM

Can't believe I forgot "Let The Right One In"! Excellent piece of theatre, and definitely very eerie, and (much like what Distinctive Baritone said of Shining City) at least 1 unforgettable jump scare.

But it's another one like Grey House that wasn't trying to FULLY commit to the horror experience. In fact I'd say Grey House was more frightening overall than Let The Right One In.

Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
 Jul 3 2024, 06:17:16 PM

I saw Next to Normal on Broadway with the original cast (minus Tveit) --  it was a stellar set of performances, to be sure, but I've never thought of them as an especially "tough act to follow." I'd argue that Next to Normal is a show where, as long as you get strong actors and singers, you can cast it a lot of different ways that work roughly as well as each other.

Horror On Broadway?
 Jul 3 2024, 06:03:49 PM

Appreciate that this discussion is taking a nuanced approach to the label "horror." Too often, people will list off shows like Sweeney or Little Shop, and call it a day. Those shows fit a certain definition of "horror," in terms of the content and iconography, but not the definition that most people use colloquially nowadays -- which is more centered around the audience's experience of fright and adrenaline. I'd say something similar about

LCT3's Evan Cabnet will be the new Artistic Director of 2nd Stage!
 Jun 29 2024, 03:51:10 PM

SFFrontRow said: "the Signature at Pershing Square is just as nice with more venues."

Interesting though that it specifies the Diamond theatre, which seems to imply they'll be limited to that 1 venue of the 3. By contrast, New Group has used all 3 venues in recent years (although the Diamond only rarely).

BLUEBERRIES eyeing Broadway?
 Jun 26 2024, 12:18:53 PM

Wick3 said: "I'm surprised Blueberries beat Merrily in the grosses at NYTW but I'm guessing Blueberries probably had a longer run with these 2 extensions. Regardless I'm happy for NYTW!"

I was surprised to read that too -- but yes, it looks like this run was 2 weeks longer than Merrily's. Merrily also straddled Thanksgiving, Christmas, AND New Years, leading to a reduced performances schedule in those weeks.

I'd also guess it&

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
 Jun 25 2024, 01:34:04 PM

PrinceAli said: "Where is Wicked?"

Good catch! Looks like it's missing from BWW's grosses, but it's on the League's site:

They grossed $2,222,692 -- bringing the million club tally to 19 out of 32

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
 Jun 25 2024, 01:27:47 PM

Kad said: "17 of 31 productions grossed over 1mil."

I count 18!

Jonathan Bailey in Richard II, London 2025
 Jun 21 2024, 09:38:36 AM

This is a great role for him!

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 20 2024, 05:01:01 PM

I'll be attending the concert in shorts tonight, and I don't have any reservations or guilt about it! :)

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/9/24
 Jun 11 2024, 05:44:38 PM

I wonder if Stereophonic will get to the 1 million mark after the Tonys. By my math, they’d have to sell out with a $160 average.

Of course I’m not one to *advocate* for raising ticket prices, but just from an industry standpoint it would be an impressive feat!

What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
 Jun 8 2024, 10:20:43 AM

In addition to what other posters said above, this question feels especially irrelevant considering we just had "Prayer for the French Republic" on Broadway in January. That play actually *does* deal with Jews' relationship to Israel/Zionism, but to my knowledge there wasn't any backlash, protests, or safety threats.

Shuffle Along previews
 Jun 3 2024, 05:51:49 PM

binau said: "Was Audra not getting nominated considered an upset?"

I'm sure there were plenty of people who saw it as an upset, and reasonably so; her performance was up to her usual standard of brilliance, and I personally preferred it over several of the nominees.

But my memory is that, once the surprise wore off, people understood. It was a competitive lineup, and I think many people felt that the first-time, breakout nominations for Phill

2025 Pulitzer Prize prediction, with statistics
 Jun 2 2024, 06:58:30 PM

WindyNewYorker said: "Sondheim’s Here We Are."

Here We Are would have qualified for last year (the eligibility pool announced a few weeks ago). And I doubt they submitted, considering they opted out of other awards eligibility. If that’s the case, that technically means they still could submit for a later year, but only if it received another production. 

As for Suffs: normally when a show has already had a major NYC run (in this cas

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/26/24
 May 28 2024, 11:22:01 PM

RUkiddingme said: "JoeW4 said: ". In any case, it was a fun little rabbit hole to go down either way, lol"

We don't want you in a rabbit hole Joe - go make more videos!
"

Most of my videos come from a rabbit hole of some kind or another! ;)

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/26/24
 May 28 2024, 09:28:40 PM

RUkiddingme said: "re HOME low numbers

I think it's normal for non profits to have really low numbers when they open shows in the summer.
"

This comment piqued my curiosity so I went poking around a little; as far as I can tell, the only 2 non-profit Broadway productions in the last decade+ to have a summer opening were Roundabout's Marvin's Room and Second Stage's Straight White Men. Am I missing any others? Genuinely

Musicals that will never be revived on Broadway
 May 20 2024, 05:18:55 PM

Given the number of Broadway musical revivals vs. the number of new musicals that come out each year (especially with how many of them flop, with little cultural impression) it feels like the answer to the OP's question is: the vast majority of them!

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions
 May 6 2024, 01:09:18 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Eligibility is for the 2023 calendar year and USUALLY limited to shows that had their world premiere in 2023 but sometimes there's some fungibility there."

Yes and no. There's a certain degree of fungibility backward in time, but not forward. Plays that had their world premiere in 2024 (like The Ally) are categorically ineligible for today's prize.

The grey area comes in when you're looki

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions
 May 5 2024, 10:28:53 PM

I haven't plugged anything on here in a while, but I posted my Pulitzer thoughts/predictions on TikTok last month

In hearing other people's hopes/predictions since then, I do wonder if Flex has a better shot than I gave it credit for (I have it on my "honorable mentions" list). If so, I wouldn't be mad! I liked Flex a lot.

I also heard several people throw out Wet Brain as a potential winner after I posted this, which I was surprised by. I had mixed feelings about the play, so maybe that's just my taste influencing my predictions, but I'm not convinced. We'll see!

I'm also continuously warring with myself about whether Stereophonic is too high up on my predictions list or not. As I said in the video, I think it's an intuitive pick in some ways, and counterintuitive in other ways - and I go back and forth basically by the day lol. Again, we'll see!

Otherwise though, I pretty much stand by everything I said!

The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
 Apr 29 2024, 11:10:32 PM

I'd argue that the lack of credibility people are noticing isn't a result of corruption, bias, or voting practices. It's a natural side-effect of being the only major award body in the entertainment industry to be working with such a small pool of competition for their top award (Best Musical). And while it's obviously subjective, many of us would go further and say that the pool of competition most years is not only small, but also weak. So until the Tonys change their rules

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You