ART's The Wife of Willesden

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1ART's The Wife of Willesden
Posted: 3/4/23 at 1:21pm

A bawdy, contemporary, re-imagined telling of The Wife of Bath (Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) that was a real hoot!

The entirety is set in a British pub, which provided onstage seating. There are both table seats and bench seating. While I loved the show, I wouldn't sit in the bench seats or recommend them for three reasons...my back was killing me (really thin cushion to sit on and you had the overhang of the bar sticking into your shoulder blades), since we were BEHIND much of the action,  the dialogue was often difficult to hear...which I'm sure was not an issue in the house,  and our view was often blocked due to an Ctor standing directly between me and the action. (This wasn't all the time, but enough to take you out of the moment.)

Overall, I really enjoyed the evening and was so impressed with Zadie Smith's script. (Her first foray into theater, I believe.) The performance energy was outstanding as was the storytelling.  I haven't read Canterbury Tales in ages, so I dont feel I could make any direct comments to the original text.

Highly recommend if you are in ghe area, I believe it runs for another 2 or 3 weeks.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#2ART's The Wife of Willesden
Posted: 3/4/23 at 9:22pm

Also at BAM, April 1-16.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3ART's The Wife of Willesden
Posted: 3/14/23 at 12:12pm

article/announcement.  Looks the complete cast from Boston.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Full-Company-Confirmed-for-Zadie-Smiths-THE-WIFE-OF-WILLESDEN-at-BAM-20230314

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos