Tony Bennett 1926-2023

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#1Tony Bennett 1926-2023
Posted: 7/21/23 at 7:11pm

I could not let this day pass without acknowledging the loss of the great Tony Bennett. While not a Broadway star per se, he did appear twice on the main stem, once at the Minskoff in 1974 in 'Tony and Lena Sing' (Lena Horne, of course), and again at the Longacre in 1993 in 'Tony Bennett: Stepping Out on Broadway.' He also recorded dozens of Broadway standards, his 'Just In Time' being a favorite of mine. He would have been 97 in two weeks.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#2Tony Bennett 1926-2023
Posted: 7/21/23 at 8:13pm

He championed the Broadway catalog his whole career. I guess he’s the last of the superstar crooners. It’s amazing to think his Act II began in 1994 with MTV Unplugged. He was my favorite, of his kind, after Sinatra…and he was Sinatra’s favorite.

I remember a party I had in the early 80s with a bunch of my college friends, etc. At one point, after putting a Tony Bennett album on the turntable, a friend asked me, “How old are you?” “Old enough to know what I like,” I answered. We still joke about it. I loved so many different kinds of music, but the ones that stand the rest of time…

I’m surprised, but not so surprised, that there are so few comments, etc. here.

Updated On: 7/21/23 at 08:13 PM

ManOfLaMuncha
#3Tony Bennett 1926-2023
Posted: 7/22/23 at 1:12am

I remember listening to this record when I was a kid.  This was one of his best from the '50s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk5V8Z6svq4

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#4Tony Bennett 1926-2023
Posted: 7/22/23 at 11:28am

Some interesting trivia: 

In December, 2018 when the nominations were announced for the 61st Annual Grammy Awards (to be held in February, 2019)  a music critic for GoldDerby wondered if Streisand would finally win for 'Best Traditional Pop Album' over Tony Bennett, for her album '“The Music … The Mem’ries … The Magic!”' . 

The BTPA category had originated in 1991. In the 27 year history, Bennett had 15 nominations, and won 13 Awards !  Streisand was nominated 12 times in the category, 6 times going up against Bennett - and never winning. In December, 2018 he was nominated against her with his nomination for 'Love Is Here To Stay'. 

Both artists lost out in 2019 to Willie Nelson's "My Way". 

In his lifetime, Bennett has won 20 Grammys. In her lifetime, Streisand has won 8. 

BETTY22
#5Tony Bennett 1926-2023
Posted: 7/22/23 at 1:02pm

By Billy Stritch 

At the beginning of 2017 I was delighted when I got the schedule of upcoming dates to find that we were going to be performing in my hometown of Sugar Land, Texas. In the years since I grew up there, the town has gone from a population of 3000 to over 100,000 and Tony was one of the first to perform at the new Smarte Financial Center there. 

I was graciously provided about forty comp tickets for family and friends so you can imagine how thrilling it was to invite and perform for so many key people in my life. On the plane ride to Texas, Tony asked me if he might sing something special for my mom at the show. Can you imagine? He suggested “All The Things You Are” (perfect choice) and we rehearsed it at the soundcheck. Later on during the show, we were nearing the end of the set and Tony hadn’t called the tune yet. I thought perhaps he’d forgotten, but lo and behold toward the end he looked over to me at the piano and said, “this is Billy’s hometown and I understand his mother is in the audience. Is she here, Billy?”. He then proceeded to sing the most beautiful version of that great song just for her. Huge cheers. Tremendous emotion. It was one of the proudest moments of my life. He made me look so good for the hometown crowd and Mom was, needless to say, thrilled! 

Now that she’s gone I’m even more grateful so have had that experience and will always remember Tony’s kindness to her and my family and friends that night. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#6Tony Bennett 1926-2023
Posted: 7/23/23 at 9:31pm

CBS is currently airing a rebroadcast of his final concert, at age 95, with Lady Gaga. Damn, he was good.

Videos