pixeltracker

Hugh Wheeler's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" (1966)

Hugh Wheeler's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" (1966)

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#1Hugh Wheeler's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" (1966)
Posted: 9/4/23 at 11:23am

Hi everyone! In real life I'm a PhD student, and I'm writing an article on a production which until a few months ago I never knew existed. Apparently, in 1966, Hugh Wheeler adapted Shirley Jackson's last novel into a stage play, which flopped colossally despite being directed by Garson Kanin and produced by David Merrick. (One of the stars was Heather Menzies, fresh off her turn in The Sound of Music.)

Anyway, I was able to obtain a copy of the script, but a dearth of production photos leaves me with very little idea of what the Broadway production actually looked like. Neither the internet nor Lincoln Center has been much help. Which brings me here, on the (very) off chance that anyone saw the Broadway production or DC tryout and might be willing to share what they remember.

It's a weird play, and not particularly faithful to Jackson's novel, but Wheeler's adaptation shows seeds of what would later bloom in Sweeney and Night Music. That's an article for another day. :)

I know you. I know you. I know you.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#2Hugh Wheeler's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" (1966)
Posted: 9/4/23 at 5:31pm

I have nothing at all to offer, but I wish you luck and hope you'll share what you find out, as well as your thoughts about the ties between this and Wheeler's more familiar work.

I find it oddly delightful that the list of seven cast members is spread over four printed pages in the Playbill!

Videos