News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for kdogg36

kdogg36 Profile Photo
Member Name: kdogg36
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread  May 7 2024, 10:20:07 PM

Feel free to put this in a spoiler tag, but is there a song sung by Holly in the show and/or on the cast recording? Asking for a friend who is still mourning the person who that character is perhaps vaguely based on. :)

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions  May 6 2024, 03:30:16 PM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Winner - Primary Trust

Finalists
-Public Obscenities
-Here There Are Blueberries
"

Wow! Nicely done!

ILLINOISE Reviews  May 6 2024, 11:35:57 AM

While it's far from the prototypical musical, Illinoise is clearly a show that tells a story through music, so I think it fits. If a production of La Boheme can be nominated for Best Musical Revival, I don't think it's a stretch at all to consider Illinoise for Best Musical.

Of course Contact is an even closer parallel, but I know there's lots of controversy around that so I'll distance myself from that comparison. smiley

77th Tony Awards Performance Predictions  May 6 2024, 11:16:21 AM

chrishuyen said: "And while shows also do numbers on talk shows and such, usually it's not with full costume and set behind them, and I think there's probably also a certain perception of prestige for just having performed on the Tony Awards."

I'd also add that the typical Tony Awards viewer, by definition, has a greater-than-average interest in Broadway theater, and therefore is much more likely to actually buy tickets than the average talk sho

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 3 2024, 06:23:30 PM

MezzoDiva47 said: "in this case it feels like a vanity project because when all is said and done audiences cant be told what they are supposed to like"

I'm curious as to why folks are saying this feels like a vanity project. It has a legit director and designers and Broadway stars attached and has been worked on for years. Just because it flopped on Broadway doesn't retroactively make it a vanity project. I know some on this site who saw it out of town w

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 08:17:58 PM

inception said: "Definitely feels likethe knives are out for Eva & Jeremy in GG.

It's like they’re being punished for being celebrities and in a hit show.
"

Hard to explain the nominations for Sarah Paulson and Daniel Radcliffe, then.

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  Apr 30 2024, 08:10:01 PM

LuckyDipster said: "guess you all think I'm nuts. Whatever."

This is what is known as a "straw man."

Best Group of Best Musical Nominees  Apr 30 2024, 08:07:44 PM

I'd definitely say 2005, but also 1976 (with A Chorus Line, Chicago, and Pacific Overtures). 

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 05:23:58 PM

MadsonMelo said: "Kelli O'Hara's nomination puts her in a tied 3rd place among most nominated actresses overall.

She is below Audra, Chita and Julie Harris (10), Rosemary Harris (9) and alongside Patti LuPone,Colleen Dewhurst and Jane Alexander.
"

Thank you for researching and sharing this fascinating information! One little point: this makes O'Hara tied for fifth place as these things are usually reckoned (since there are four actors above them

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 10:29:58 AM

kdogg36 said: "I can't imagine many shows have won Best Musical without getting at least a nomination for its director."

For the record, it seems that Titanic (1997) is the only show to win Best Musical without a Best Director nomination since the latter category came into being in 1960. Hoping for another one this year. 

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  Apr 30 2024, 09:22:43 AM

Markie27 said: "So disappointed at Illinoise getting so few nominations…. I wonder if ithurt its chances for winning Best Musical. I just can’t imagine all these mediocre shows win over such a forward moving work of art. I’m soooo disappointed."

I agree. I especially am concerned with the lack of a Best Director nomination - I can't imagine many shows have won Best Musical without getting at least a nomination for its director. However, the nom

The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.  Apr 30 2024, 08:46:42 AM

chrishuyen said: "fwiw, Michael Paulson in NYTsays "This season 36 Tony-eligible plays and musicals opened; nominators were required to see all of them." and I think he's generally pretty good about fact checking"

To be fair, the original post (and I assume the disappearing article) concerned the much larger pool of voters, and I wouldn't mind some clarification on that.

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 05:30:31 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "This year, maybe the Tonys should do what the Pulitzer Prizes sometimes do for theDrama categoryand just not give a Best Musical award, lol."

I hardly think that's called for in a season with accomplished and unique musicals like Here Lies Love, Days of Wine and Roses, and Illinoise. 

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 29 2024, 11:12:24 AM

HeyMrMusic said: "I think an Elizabeth A. Davis-like nomination could go to Ricky Ubeda’s Illinoisecastmate (and fellowSYTYCDwinner) Gaby Diaz. If she and Ben Cook get nominated,Illinoisecould be the one to beat."

I hope that happens! But it really wouldn't shock me at all, and after all she has the largest female role in the show. 

An Elizabeth A. Davis-level shocker would be if, say, Andrea Burns gets a nomination fo

2024 Tony Awards  Apr 16 2024, 09:16:28 PM

yyys said: "look at the post above from HeyMrMusic."

You said there is no book, which is what I was responding to. That's a completely different proposition from its book is not eligible for a Tony.

2024 Tony Awards  Apr 16 2024, 08:43:37 PM

yyys said: "there is no book."

It has characters; it has a story; that story is divided into scenes; it has stage directions. Of course it has a book.

Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?  Apr 16 2024, 08:13:56 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "If this runs when “OTHELLO”, does it’ll be the first time in a long time (I think) two Shakespeare plays have been on Broadway at the same time?"

Perhaps the last time was in 2013, when Mark Rylance starred in Richard III and Twelfth Night in repertory at the Belasco.

JK Rowling Concerns  Apr 16 2024, 07:51:28 PM

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Thanks all, this is for sure a better reception than my last thread on this subject got. That’s a relief."

Welcome back, and I'm very relieved that this thread broke the way it did. 

JK Rowling Concerns  Apr 16 2024, 07:39:07 PM

dramamama611 said: "I'm not throwing out the books, she gets nothing from my rereading them. Not that I'm sure I will."

I respect that choice, but another rational option would be to offer them up for sale on eBay or Amazon, so that some prospective reader will buy a used copy rather than sending a buck or two to she-who-shall-not-be-named.

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 15 2024, 11:15:40 AM

OhHiii said: "I mean, that's very clearly not the point I making which is a financial one. Kimberly Akimbo lost money for months leading up to the Tonys and very quickly started losing money again thereafter. There is no scenario in which you can call KA a financial success because it limped along through the awards. It won, it still lost money."

I doubt the producers of Kimberly Akimbo have much regret about staying open through last year's&nbs

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You