News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

DruidO'Casey

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#1DruidO'Casey
Posted: 9/16/23 at 3:57pm

Anyone going? I would love to, but it's not looking likely right now. Anyone who is, please report back and give us your verdict! I don't think these plays are ever going to be better than in the hands of Garry Hynes and Druid.

NYU Skirball, Oct 4- 14

DruidO’Casey: Sean O’Casey’s Dublin Trilogy
The Plough and the Stars
The Shadow of a Gunman
Juno and the Paycock
Directed by Garry Hynes

A century ago, Ireland was reborn in the fires of rebellion and war. The playwright Sean O’Casey bore witness to these seismic events and dramatized them as the Dublin Trilogy, three great works of Irish theatre, full of history, humanity and humor. 100 years later, the internationally acclaimed theater company Druid will weave O’Casey’s three plays into an epic theatrical event of conflict, national identity and the human toll of war, DruidO’Casey.

Audiences will experience O’Casey’s work as never before: directed by Tony Award winner Garry Hynes, a company of 18 actors will perform the three plays in one day, drawing parallels between an Irish past and an international present. Watch all six-hours of the play in one day (with plenty of breaks!) on Saturday, October 7; Wednesday, October 11; or Saturday, October 14. Or, buy a weeknight package, and watch the trilogy as single-play performances over the course of three nights. Dinner specials at partner restaurants will be available throughout the run.

DruidO’Casey begins with The Plough and the Stars, the story of newlyweds Jack and Nora Clitheroe living in a city on the brink of rebellion in 1916. In The Shadow of a Gunman, Donal Davoren, Seumas Shields and Minnie Powell find themselves tragically tangled up in the Irish War of Independence. The saga ends with Juno and the Paycock and the Boyle family who see their fortunes dashed amidst the upheaval of the Irish Civil War.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jay Lerner-Z
#2DruidO'Casey
Posted: 9/16/23 at 4:01pm

Also Ann Arbor UMS Oct 18 - 21

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Zeppie2022
#3DruidO'Casey
Posted: 9/16/23 at 4:41pm

Not that you would care but this is exactly what I was talking about in other threads. It is fine to make "issue" posts but once in a while post something on this board that contains theater and interests you. I think you might get less of a negative reaction to some posts if it seems you are not always being critical.

Jay Lerner-Z
#4DruidO'Casey
Posted: 9/16/23 at 5:01pm

Before Sutton Ross jumps in to pounce on my hypocrisy, no harm in asking the question... transatlantic productions, right or wrong to support? #CarbonFootprint #RhetoricalQuestion

Musicaldudepeter
#5DruidO'Casey
Posted: 9/16/23 at 5:50pm

This is a stunning, once-in-a-lifetime production and you'd be an idiot to miss it. The performances are extraordinary, and the staging is stunning. Druid at the top of its game as a company. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#6DruidO'Casey
Posted: 9/17/23 at 4:36pm

High praise, Peter. I hope it's recorded and released for purchase in the same way DruidSynge was.

Jay Lerner-Z
#7DruidO'Casey
Posted: 10/4/23 at 5:26pm

Starts tonight!

Jumpin_J
#8DruidO'Casey
Posted: 10/4/23 at 8:11pm

I saw Druid do Waiting For Godot for Lincoln Center's "White Lights" festival and was profoundly disappointed. Pacing was slow and without any humor or insight. Shockingly dull. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#9DruidO'Casey
Posted: 10/4/23 at 8:16pm

Wild! I thought their Godot was BY FAR the funniest and satisfying I'd seen. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Jay Lerner-Z
#10DruidO'Casey
Posted: 10/25/23 at 12:29pm

The run is over. Anybody go? I was banking on living vicariously through comments here. Sad face.

Videos