News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for KJisgroovy

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
Member Name: KJisgroovy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
 Jul 25 2024, 07:29:07 PM

I like sitting close too. A couple of things you should be aware of.

The stage is pretty high but with some straining you should be able to see everything except a moment where someone is laying prone on the stage for a bit. 

The larger issue is that a good deal is staged around the auditorium so you'll miss that or you'll be turning your head constantly. You won't miss anything essential but it might be annoying. 

There are a lot of projections and

Paul Hart's immersive UK staging of THE LORD OF THE RINGS musical to transfer to Chicago
 Jul 24 2024, 04:51:45 PM

Exactly that. And you said it much more succinctly! 

Jul 24 2024, 12:46:53 AM

I thought this was pretty terrible. I'm honestly not sure what they were going for? The material isn't great but that isn't the problem here. There is little spectacle, but this is not an actor-driven staging focused on a clarity of storytelling. For a retelling of such rich and lengthy material, a source they needed to be cut to the bone, you need to give the audience something to hold on to. Give me flying puppets, giant set pieces, epic fights... or give me five peopl

Biggest disappointments from established teams?
 Jul 14 2024, 09:51:07 PM

I realize its already been said but I feel like we can't mention War Paint enough. On paper everything looked extraordinary. From creatives, to director, to casting and concept. What we ended up with was just awfully inert. Wrong choices made at every turn. Changes made from Chicago to Broadway made things worse. 

Jun 27 2024, 02:46:27 PM

There's no indication this is being staged anywhere except in the theater. The director even comments that the hobbits will be in the theater when you enter. It appears they've restaged this conventionally.

Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
 Jun 21 2024, 11:10:47 AM

I LOVED this. I found it deeply moving, very funny, and speaking to exactly what it's like to live in the world right now. 

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 11:38:10 PM

It looks like The Outsiders have already raised their ticket prices? Is that possible? My husband is visually impaired, and we need to sit in the front row (usually not premium). It was 229$ yesterday, and those same seats are now premium priced at 349$. Obviously, they can change whatever they want... and good for them... but that's wild. 

SWEPT AWAY transferring to Broadway this fall
 Jun 16 2024, 09:15:52 AM

Is it weird tickets aren't on sale for this... or that we haven't received any more information? 

Jun 8 2024, 05:30:03 PM

It doesn't LOOK immersive at all. At least from the very standard proscenium seating chart. I suppose they could still have the audience start in an alternative location... but I'm not sure where they would do that? 

Neil Gaiman's CORALINE to become stage musical; to tour in UK in 2025
 May 22 2024, 07:59:53 AM

Weird there's no mention of Stephin Merritt and David Greenspan's adaptation. Granted, that's an unconventional adaptation but... I feel like it's fairly successful. I love the source material so I guess the more the merrier.

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 May 17 2024, 09:19:40 AM

I just tried several dates and both SECRET and HOTTIX worked for all of them. SECRET and HOTTIX both have only ever worked for certain days and certain seats.

The first look inside
 May 15 2024, 04:07:44 PM

"Every single major production of Cats has changed scenes, songs, arrangements, characters who sing them, some songs cut entirely, others truncated."

Is this true? I feel like the only text changes I've noticed in the many different productions over the years have involved Growltiger's Last Stand (due to budget and vocal abilities) and Pekes and the Pollicles. I don't think I've really seen much deviation beyond that? 

That said... I'd imagine

The first look inside
 May 15 2024, 02:01:10 PM

"And they can still impose a different story without changing a word of the text because so much of the story is in the movement and direction of the piece rather than the lyrics themselves."

While that's true, there are quite a few lyrics that don't make any sense in this context. It's not just that they're cats it's that all the references and sensibilities are exceedingly British and of a certain time. It seems like a really neat idea but I think y

George Clooney is coming to Broadway.
 May 13 2024, 12:47:13 PM

An adaptation of this was announced by Steppenwolf before the pandemic. It was to star a bunch of Steppenwolf Ensemble members and directed by Anna D. Shapiro. Obviously that was scuttled but its interesting that the adapter/playwright announced at the time was Matt Charman. I wonder if he'll still be credited in some capacity or that adaptation has been completely trashed as the article says the screenwriters are adapting. 

New musical FROM HERE, inspired by Pulse nightclub tragedy, to premiere at Signature Theatre
 May 7 2024, 01:02:46 PM

This sort of screams vanity project.

May 2 2024, 12:11:35 PM

No frosting from a can. They find other ways to express that tho. 

Williams is that character, tho the character is more present though still mysterious.

May 2 2024, 11:59:46 AM

Kad said: "I can think of many words to describe the movie, and “campy, big, and broad” are three of them. It opens with a Broadway musicaladaptation of Sweet Bird of Youth that features a disco dance break. Goldie Hawn wears a fat suit and eats frosting from a can while losing her mind. Streep’s tongue-waggling delivery of the word “flaccid.” Any of the iconic lines. It is an extremelyover the topmovie. The only reality it’s grounded in i

May 2 2024, 08:35:44 AM

I'm not a big fan of the movie. I've seen it maybe twice in 20 years and liked it fine but... don't know it well enough to know famous lines. So that's where I'm coming from. 

I thought this was mostly great. The performances and timing were REALLY spectacular for a second preview. The book is really, really, really funny. I think it could better integrate moments of pathos but it definitely isn't necessary if that's not what they're going for. Ther

Apr 30 2024, 09:19:06 PM

"Ticket prices are ranging $29 - $71.50. How is this a deal?"

The standard orchestra ticket is 102.50 during the week. The code makes them 75$

Apr 29 2024, 08:31:21 AM

Unless there are major celebrities, Broadway tryouts in Chicago never sell well before they open. They never have. Once word of mouth and reviews kick in, they sell out the last few weeks of their run (or don't). 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You