Profile for Jay Lerner-Z

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Member Name: Jay Lerner-Z
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Hello

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Sam Mendes will direct 4 films about The Beatles (one from each member's POV) to be theatrically released by Sony in 2027  Feb 20 2024, 04:52:59 PM

Maybe they'll get a big name to play Ringo, just to get people to see it.

This is really just a television series, I suppose, there is no real rationale for it to get extra gravitas because it will be in theaters.

Sugar or Some Like It Hot?  Feb 4 2024, 11:02:10 PM

What's the better score?

Apologies if you've had this conversation already.

"Rendezvous with Marlene" Ute Lemper  Feb 2 2024, 08:54:03 PM

"Rendezvous with Marlene" Ute Lemper  Feb 2 2024, 08:51:42 PM

Who's seen it?

If you haven't, go see it, it's great. If you like Marlene Dietrich, if you like Ute... just go. If you like Weimar cabaret, have an interest in German history... just go.

54 Below, March 28.

Grammys Best Musical Theatre Album 2024  Feb 2 2024, 04:29:22 PM

Who votes on this category?

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 04:26:47 PM

To be fair, “lie” might be a bit strong. It was nearly sixty years ago, maybe she just misremembered.

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 03:48:10 PM

“I believe in truth”, she says, and that her whole motivation in writing this book was to act as a record of facts. Oh well, Barbra, you tried.

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 03:34:27 PM

There is nothing about the A, B, C system in Barbra’s book.

Is this because she knows it would reflect poorly on her? Seems like an important, and very interesting, thing to leave out.

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 03:19:54 PM

TotallyEffed needs to hear it directly from Barbra herself before it can be believed.

DOUBT 2024 Previews  Feb 2 2024, 02:43:52 PM

Tyne Daly is frightening. Exactly right for a 1960s nun.

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 02:33:42 PM

She missed only one performance... so what? That’s admirable, and shows a strong work ethic... but not necessarily indicative of the quality of performance.

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 01:23:06 PM

Me... annoying?

Never.

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 01:19:52 PM

Her body turned up for the performance, her soul did not. To quote MysteriousLady, “one of her many performances where she slept walked through the role because she was bored". I’m quite confident that Barbra herself would agree with me on this one.

Would a Juke Box musical of the BEACH BOYS work?  Feb 2 2024, 01:10:35 PM

I smell Tonys!

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 01:07:29 PM

Yes. I am fully aware of that.

It is a technique that Barbra does not use.

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 12:37:08 PM

And I hate to break it to you, but pouring your heart out every night is not the same thing as working on an airport check-in desk.

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 12:27:37 PM

What do you not understand?

She is a method actor. She hates repeating a performance in exactly the same way over and over again. She needs to draw on her reserve of genuine emotion to achieve her goal, and to do this eight times a week became increasingly difficult for her. She says herself that she was over it after opening night, and describes an 18 month run as a “prison sentence”.

I do not think it unreasonable to suggest that she is better suited to the screen.

Would a Juke Box musical of the BEACH BOYS work?  Feb 2 2024, 12:09:21 PM

Act 1, Scene 2.

The young Wilson brothers are lying in bed at night in Hawthorn, California. They share a room.

Dreaming of a better life away from their abusive father, they start harmonizing... wondering... wouldn’t it be nice?

Cue song.

Would a Juke Box musical of the BEACH BOYS work?  Feb 2 2024, 11:49:28 AM

Does Scooter Braun have the rights to mount one?

A SAG Life Achievement Award for Barbra  Feb 2 2024, 11:47:39 AM

Okay, forget what Sondheim said. What I’m really basing my opinion on is Barbra herself. She gave up musical theatre over fifty years ago, her heart was not in it. She was unable to be at her best for eight shows a week for over a year. Which is perfectly understandable and I don’t judge her for it.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You