pixeltracker

London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)

London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#1London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)
Posted: 3/1/24 at 3:19pm

I'm in the middle of scheduling a last minute-ish trip to London in April and this came up in my research.  The reviews seem across the board positive to rave, and yet this completely slipped my radar.  Anyone catch it in London and would recommend?

Thinking of including this with Long Day's Journey, Dorian Gray, London Tide, The Commupance and possibly Operation Mincemeat and/or  Standing at the Sky's Edge.  Any suggestions for the end of April would be greatly appreciated!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)
Posted: 3/1/24 at 3:35pm

https://theatreboard.co.uk/board/4/plays

I would read the reviews here. 

I almost went to it, but my flight got delayed, so I got bumped a whole day of seeing shows. But I'd imagine it would come over here at some point.

whatever2
#3London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)
Posted: 3/1/24 at 3:55pm

Dorian Gray is well worth it.

Two People Carrying a Cake will have transferred to the Criterion by then; i'm not seeing it until next month myself, but the reviews and buzz all have been stellar.

The Little Big Things starts out a little treacly, but ends incredibly strongly.

And of course Standing At The Sky's Edge should be on the top of every list!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Jmuep2
#4London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)
Posted: 3/2/24 at 8:04pm

I saw this last night and came away a little disappointed. It’s solid but nothing particularly great. It’s three hours and I think you could get it down to 1:45 and it would be a significantly stronger play. Acting is good, but it didn’t blow me away like “Motive and the Cue" did. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#5London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)
Posted: 3/3/24 at 2:18pm

Thank you all!

Sadly it looks like Motive and the Cue will be closed by the time I arrive and Two People Carrying a Cake is sold out for the run.  May just keep a couple of slots open presuming something opens up (listening to the OCR of Standing On the Sky's Edge makes me think I may have to go twice).  

Jmuep2, Thank you very much!  The Hills... sounds a bit like a slog so may just keep it open as a potential last minute option.

Thanks again, all!  Any future recommendations are greatly appreciated!

itsshowtime2
#6London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)
Posted: 3/3/24 at 3:43pm

Two People Carry A Cake is not sold out. Here is the link to the official ticket seller. 

https://www.criterion-theatre.co.uk/twostrangerscarryacakeacrossnewyork?eventid=10001

Updated On: 3/3/24 at 03:43 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#7London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)
Posted: 3/3/24 at 4:17pm

Thank you!  I must have been looking at the off West End or unofficial page. 

I just started reading reviews and they seem a little....soso.  Has anyone seen and can recommend?  

Edit: Anyone seen Nye?  

Updated On: 3/3/24 at 04:17 PM