News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Play Esq.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Member Name: Play Esq.
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES musical will have pre-Bway tryout this summer in Boston
 Jul 15 2024, 12:06:12 PM

First preview is tomorrow...anyone going?  I'll be there Friday (and Saturday too if it's good)!

LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
 Jun 25 2024, 03:31:43 PM

Can we please just ignore this loser?  They'd be gone in a week if they didn't get attention.

Back to the main question of replacement:

Nicholas Hoult, Chris Pine, Timothée Chalamet, Nicholas Galitzine, Jacob Elordi, Austin Butler, and of course, Tom Holland, would all make a good amount of change at the box office (If Matthew Morrison could play this role, who I adored in this role, so can all of the above).

Jun 25 2024, 01:35:05 PM

MatthewS1 said: "Poor James D Gish, he deserves to transfer :("

...ehhhhhh.  "Deserves" is a wee bit too strong of a word in my opinion.  He was fine.

Jun 25 2024, 01:17:13 PM

I'm in the camp praying for a transfer.  Absolutely loved the Encores! presentation and it's been nearly 20 years since this was last on Broadway.  

Colbert or Sudeikis as Herbie?
 Jun 24 2024, 04:50:08 PM

I love Colbert...but he was incredibly stiff in the NY Phil Company concert presentation in a very small role.  I can't imagine he'd be a very good Herbie. 

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 21 2024, 12:22:00 PM

Matt Rogers said: "Can someone give some restaurant recommendations in the area (table service, not fast food). Thanks in advance."

Within 10 minutes of the venue is the Odeon, Khe-Yo, and a little higher up is the exquisite Frenchette.  

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 20 2024, 04:30:01 PM

Booked for July, and if critical review is anywhere close to whats being discussed here, I think this is going to be a very hot ticket.

These are the threads on BWW that bring me back: genuine theater fans' reactions to performances in previews!  

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 20 2024, 04:23:40 PM

wiggum2 said: "I have never been to Carnegie hall... It's going to be quite hot tomorrow... what's the dress code? Their website says be comfortable but what does that mean?"

I've been going to Carnegie for at least 5 to 6 concerts a year since 2007.  You can get away with a lot, (short-sleeves, jeans, etc.)  just please don't wear shorts.  

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 17 2024, 05:56:54 PM

Broadway Flash said: "I just feel like the Met is so unique and opera specific. Icant imagine the Tony’s being in there because it is an opera house after all. Actually, I don’t think it’s ever been used for anything other than the Met’s season, and then the American Ballet Theatre does a month of performances between mid June to mid July. Sure it would be bigger but sorta off brand for the Tony’s. Plus, I don’t even think it would be allowed. And

Sarah Paulson wants to tackle The Goat , or Who Is Sylvia by Edward Albee next
 Jun 4 2024, 04:49:38 PM

tyleramullen said: "Not to derail this topic, because I love THE GOAT... but the mention of Laurie Metcalf's name made a Laurie / Sarah pairing as Violet / Barbara in AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY flash through my head. And I needed to put that out into the universe.

Back to Albee!
"

So in for this as well!  Yet another play in desperate need for a revival.

Sarah Paulson wants to tackle The Goat , or Who Is Sylvia by Edward Albee next
 Jun 4 2024, 03:48:06 PM

So for this...but I also wouldn't be at all disappointed seeing Metcalf either in a revival.  In either case, its definitely about time for a revival! 

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 29 2024, 03:07:43 PM

Playbill_Trash said: "Has anyone addressed that she has completely the wrong voice range for this part? Mama Rose is not a soprano. And even if she can sing alto, Audra cannot belt like this score would need her to.

But they let Patti lupone scream her way through this show in 2008 so I guess they don’t care.
"

Trash, indeed. 

For anyone who saw Audra slay her way through songs on her recent tours, just gonna say that you don&

Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
 May 22 2024, 04:26:08 PM

TaffyDavenport said: "Although there were a significant numberof seats held back from every performance, they've sold a ton of tickets today, and nothing less than $125, which is pretty impressive."

Definite props to the producers, but does anyone think this is really going to be a sell-out production before opening?  Great tickets for enemy of the people were available after steller reviewes and I'd argue there is a more built-in audience for that show.

Bug at Steppenwolf
 May 21 2024, 04:34:46 PM

I hope this is true: Bug is one of my favorite plays that I've never seen performed live...would love this to happen!  Dorian Gray is going to do gangbuster business, I suspect.  

Quick London Question: Player Kings (Ian McKellen) or London Tide
 May 17 2024, 03:15:48 PM

blaxx said: "Play Esq. said: "Eek...these reviews(and I linked one of the nicer ones)! Player Kings it is. Anyone want a matinee seat for London Tide for Wednesday at 1?

"

London Tide is the laziest thing I've ever seen.
"

Blaxx: Just seeing this and thank you for letting me know it was worth giving up the tickets (the National has a great policy for giving credits on returns, FWIW)!

I ended up seeing Play Kings and absolutely loved it.  I haven't stage-doored in years but just had to after this performance.  Ian was as remarkable on stage as he was in person.  Would HIGHLY recommend for those in London during the early summer!  

City Centers 24-25: Ragtime, Urinetown, LaChiusa's Wild Party, Love Life
 May 14 2024, 04:16:41 PM

I've wanted to see Urinetown in a legit setting forever, what a dream!  

Robert Downey Jr to make Broadway debut in Ayad Akhtar's McNeal at Lincoln Center
 May 9 2024, 05:23:55 PM

So it would appear that you can book up to 2 tickets at the membership price and another 8 or so at the regular.  Anyone care to confirm?

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 May 9 2024, 04:25:04 PM

It's such a damn good album, I've listened to it far more than TTPD and Radical Optimism combined (...but nowhere near as much as Cowboy Carter wink)

Is Ben Platt Reopening The Palace theatre with a concert for his new Album?
 May 8 2024, 12:51:55 AM

Robbie2 said: "It is absolutely absurd to me that the reopening act of the LEGENDARY Palace Theatre is Ben Platt.

***This is what everyone in the industry and around town is saying.........Why did Nederlander get Ben Platt??? He's not a star, it should have been a top musicstar in the league ofGaga, Bette, Cher, JLO!
"

....you had me until JLO.

Any new DORIAN GRAY rumors?
 May 6 2024, 05:59:57 PM

MasterThespian 2 said: "binau said: "I absolutely love Operation Mincemeat. I’m just a little afraid if it will not find an audience in New York."

Apologize for highjacking my own thread, but curious about your comment above. I’m seeing Operation Mincemeat in September. Do you thinkthat some Americans may find the humor “too British”? Or is it something else? Would love to hear your thoughts.
"

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You