News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Play Esq.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Member Name: Play Esq.
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Is Ben Platt Reopening The Palace theatre with a concert for his new Album?  May 8 2024, 12:51:55 AM

Robbie2 said: "It is absolutely absurd to me that the reopening act of the LEGENDARY Palace Theatre is Ben Platt.

***This is what everyone in the industry and around town is saying.........Why did Nederlander get Ben Platt??? He's not a star, it should have been a top musicstar in the league ofGaga, Bette, Cher, JLO!
"

....you had me until JLO.

Any new DORIAN GRAY rumors?  May 6 2024, 05:59:57 PM

MasterThespian 2 said: "binau said: "I absolutely love Operation Mincemeat. I’m just a little afraid if it will not find an audience in New York."

Apologize for highjacking my own thread, but curious about your comment above. I’m seeing Operation Mincemeat in September. Do you thinkthat some Americans may find the humor “too British”? Or is it something else? Would love to hear your thoughts.
"

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions  May 6 2024, 03:56:41 PM

Wonder if there's still time for Roundabout to get this on its 2024/2025 season.

STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  May 6 2024, 03:43:36 PM

While ^ is true, I found Diana, Holly, and Reg to be quite likable.  

Also, any lover of Fleetwood Mac can easily see the band's personalities in each of Stereophonic's characters.  Having been a devoted fan of Fleetwood Mac since High School (thank you "Behind the Music"!) I was enthralled by each performers' characterization.

Palace Theatre  May 6 2024, 03:06:06 PM

Am I wrong in thinking the plan was to reduce the number of seats?

STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 19 2024, 10:16:37 PM

Wishing this show nothing but amazing reviews: saw it on Wednesday and was blown away.  I think the race for Best Play is going to be incredibly interesting this year, and we're all lucky for it.

Quick London Question: Player Kings (Ian McKellen) or London Tide  Apr 18 2024, 01:58:41 PM

Eek...these reviews (and I linked one of the nicer ones)!  Player Kings it is. Anyone want a matinee seat for London Tide for Wednesday at 1?

Dorian Gray 2025 season Broadway  Apr 6 2024, 05:15:04 PM

Appropriate Succession & Theater article from the NY Times.

Quick London Question: Player Kings (Ian McKellen) or London Tide  Mar 29 2024, 07:02:22 PM

Two Ladies: Thank you for this!  You actually bring up another issue that I've been considering: I could buy a seat for Player Kings and go after London Tide.  (London Tide starts at 1 and PK at 230.). Presuming of course that London TIde doesn't run 3 hours :-P

Just curious, what makes you so excited about London Tide?  I've been a fan of PJ Harvey since my collage years and Norris is incredibly reliable, so when I knew I was going to London, it wa

Quick London Question: Player Kings (Ian McKellen) or London Tide  Mar 29 2024, 06:26:11 PM

I currently have tickets for London Tide (mostly because of PJ Harvey) but just realizing that Ian McKellen is doing Falstaff (!!!!) in a new version of Shakespeare's Henry IV (Player Kings) while I'm in London.  I was very fortunate to see the brilliant Jack O'Brian production of Henry IV in 2003 and consider it one of my all time favorite theatergoing experiences.  I would need to bail on London Tide to see P

Denzel Washington to return to Broadway in OTHELLO?  Mar 6 2024, 03:20:33 PM

Kad said:

I loved that production as well and was rather surprised it didn't transfer. One of Gold's best productions, imo."

Definitely one of his best, but more pointedly, his best revival.  I feel his original production of new material land so much better than his revivals, Othello was his rare hit revival.

Days of Wine and Roses to Close Early  Mar 6 2024, 03:14:43 PM

I'm going to be the naysayer here and say that this shouldn't have come to Broadway.  The material was (in my opinion) second-tier for all involved and if the performances were great, it was because two incredibly talented artists were forced to make the material better.  Wholeheartedly, I can say these two incredible artists have done much better work elsewhere.  I've never needed or wanted a drink so much than after watching this show, perhaps the exact oppos

London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)  Mar 3 2024, 04:17:02 PM

Thank you!  I must have been looking at the off West End or unofficial page. 

I just started reading reviews and they seem a little....soso.  Has anyone seen and can recommend?  

Edit: Anyone seen Nye?  

London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)  Mar 3 2024, 02:18:01 PM

Thank you all!

Sadly it looks like Motive and the Cue will be closed by the time I arrive and Two People Carrying a Cake is sold out for the run.  May just keep a couple of slots open presuming something opens up (listening to the OCR of Standing On the Sky's Edge makes me think I may have to go twice).  

Jmuep2, Thank you very much!  The Hills... sounds a bit like a slog so may just keep it open as a potential last minute option.
<

London: The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth (Dir. Sam Mendes)  Mar 1 2024, 03:19:17 PM

I'm in the middle of scheduling a last minute-ish trip to London in April and this came up in my research.  The reviews seem across the board positive to rave, and yet this completely slipped my radar.  Anyone catch it in London and would recommend?

Thinking of including this with Long Day's Journey, Dorian Gray, London Tide, The Commupance and possibly Operation Mincemeat and/or  Standing at the Sky's Edge.  Any suggestions for the e

CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024  Jan 19 2024, 11:24:05 AM

FANtomFollies said: "TaffyDavenport said: ""

I was hoping for a little more pizazz. Painting the facade under the marquee black as well as adding a big neon eye like the one in London would be cool. Maybe that will happen closer to opening, though I know Broadway is really cheap about marquees compared to London.
"

Looks a lot like a gay club in the Schöneberg district where you knock on the door and someone greets you with "nude?" or "nackt?" before they they you in.

Can we get Jonathan Bailey to NY?  Jan 15 2024, 03:00:33 PM

I saw the Bailey and Barks production and was not impressed.  She was just coming off of Les Miz and was the main draw.  Had no idea who he was (may not have been a name at the time even in the UK).  Either way, it was really forgettable.

Considering how close that production and the Second Stage production of Last Five Years were (the latter getting a recording), I really don't see why a new recording would have been issued.  I'll never forget the Kantor/Wo

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Jan 10 2024, 04:21:48 PM

Holy **** that was great!  Is any play coming in with a female lead that could possibly challenge Paulson?   The cast was a collective delight, but my god was that a tremendous performance.

For the poster who asked, Elle Fanning and Sarah Paulson were both in today's matinee (a student matinee no less, most of whom who seem enthralled, especially the last 30 minutes).

Leaving this play I was left wondering when I had seen a non-historical play and/or 

Roundabout season includes PENZANCE, YELLOW FACE, and more  Jan 9 2024, 03:53:46 PM

Broadway Bob* said: "inception said: "Also based upon leaks last week of Met's 24/25 season on reddit"

Oooh... do tell! ;P
"

Season is looking pretty bland to me, are you referring to the new Antony and Cleopatra or maybe the new Salome with Grigorian?  So far the Salome and the Frau are the only rumored productions on wiki catching my attention.

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Jan 8 2024, 03:46:08 PM

Thank you for this information, I was considering picking up a last minute seat for Wednesday but going to hold-off for now. 

While sickness can't be avoided, at the prices they're charging, I'd be really annoyed to drop 300+ for a seat only for an actor to call for lines.  

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You