pixeltracker

Scaled-down production of OLIVER!, directed & choreographed by Matthew Bourne, to play Chichester & West End in 2024

Scaled-down production of OLIVER!, directed & choreographed by Matthew Bourne, to play Chichester & West End in 2024

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1Scaled-down production of OLIVER!, directed & choreographed by Matthew Bourne, to play Chichester & West End in 2024
Posted: 7/2/24 at 3:25pm

Feels like a smart move by Cameron Mackintosh and Bourne to scale back the show. Its West End venue, the Gielgud, has just 986 seats.

Per Bourne: "In 1994, I first worked, as a choreographer, with Cameron Mackintosh on Lionel Bart's legendary musical Oliver!—the spectacular Palladium revival, directed by Sam Mendes—it launched a collaboration and friendship that has become one of the most important of my career. ... Along with my regular collaborators Lez Brotherston and Paule Constable, we are taking it back to its roots, inspired by the groundbreaking 'poor theatre' designs of Sean Kenny—who revolutionized the modern musical along with Lionel and his Joan Littlewood Theatre Workshop influences."

The musical will be seen at the Chichester venue July 8–September 7 before arriving at London's Gielgud December 14.

Produced and revised by Mackintosh, Oliver! is directed and choreographed by Bourne and co-directed by Jean-Pierre van der Spuy with designs by Lez Brotherston, musical supervision and conducting by Graham Hurman, lighting design by Paule Constable and Ben Jacobs, sound design by Adam Fisher, projection design by George Reeve, and original orchestrations by William David Brohn adapted by Stephen Metcalfe.

Updated On: 7/2/24 at 03:25 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Scaled-down production of OLIVER!, directed & choreographed by Matthew Bourne, to play Chichester & West End in 2024
Posted: 7/2/24 at 4:01pm

I imagine this will be a lot like Cameron’s newer production of Les Miz with lots of projections but I’m excited to see what this looks like and what his “revisions” will be. I like the artwork. It’s a lot like little Cossette in the Les Miz artwork and it puts the focus of the artwork back on Oliver instead of the Palladium artwork which was focused on Fagin. I can’t believe it’s been 15 years since the last revival in London.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Scaled-down production of OLIVER!, directed & choreographed by Matthew Bourne, to play Chichester & West End in 2024
Posted: 7/2/24 at 4:04pm

I think Matthew Bourne is a lot more talented than the guys behind the LES MIS scale-down, so that gives me more hope.

Musicaldudepeter
#4Scaled-down production of OLIVER!, directed & choreographed by Matthew Bourne, to play Chichester & West End in 2024
Posted: 7/2/24 at 5:37pm

Are you familiar with the origins of the 1960 stage production of "Oliver!"? I don't think we'll see any projections. They say they are going back to the roots of the Sean Kenny design. I expect we will see a very spare production with 'poor theatre' techniques utilised. And yes I am delighted to see the original artwork being quoted here for this new production. The original production had the image of a child as its logo. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5Scaled-down production of OLIVER!, directed & choreographed by Matthew Bourne, to play Chichester & West End in 2024
Posted: 7/2/24 at 6:11pm

Musicaldudepeter said: "I don't think we'll see any projections."

Projection design by George Reeve.

Musicaldudepeter
#6Scaled-down production of OLIVER!, directed & choreographed by Matthew Bourne, to play Chichester & West End in 2024
Posted: 7/2/24 at 6:23pm

CATSNYrevival said: "Musicaldudepeter said: "I don't think we'll see any projections."

Projection design by George Reeve.

"

I think we'll see some projections  

Videos