Good shows in London?

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#0Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/9/04 at 3:22pm

I've got a friend going to London at the beginning of June. She wants to catch a good show there but she doesn't know which one. The only other Broadway-type show she's been to is the Canadian cast of Mamma Mia. Any recommendations for a quality show in London?

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

George67 Profile Photo
George67
#1re: Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/9/04 at 9:39pm

ANYTHING GOES at the DRURY LANE is BRILLIANT..you'll have alot of fun :)

webmaster for www.JohnBarrowman.com (the official site)

StraightToHeaven
#2re: re: Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/9/04 at 11:03pm

Definately Blood Brothers. It has humor, is heartbreaking (a lot of the audience was crying when I saw it), and is wondefully casted! I would go see it especially because it's not anywhere in the U.S. I think.

I also saw Jerry Springer there. I didn't really like it much but my whole school group did so maybe it's just me.

prof Profile Photo
prof
#3re: re: re: Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/10/04 at 4:15pm

Yes! BLOOD BROTHERS is the one to go to! What a wonderful musical.

We also loved the simple and hilarious "Stones in his Pockets." On the day of the performance they offer many discounts at the box office!

"Sing out, Louise!"

#4re: re: re: re: Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/10/04 at 5:14pm

BLOOD BROTHERS is wonderful.

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#5re: re: re: re: re: Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/10/04 at 7:03pm

Never saw BLOOD BROTHERS, but I would strongly recommend PHANTOM OF THE OPERA if you've never seen it before. I saw it last Monday and was blown away.

THE BARBER OF SEVILLE (playing at the Sevoy Theatre) was also very enjoyable. Not at all what I had expected.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/10/04 at 8:59pm

Thanks for the help. I'll recommend Blood Brothers to my friend. I myself have seen Phantom, but not in London. I'll suggest that to her too. (I think she's probably more into the "typical" Broadway musical.)

Why does the Savoy Theatre sound so familiar??

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/11/04 at 8:38am

It's part of the Savoy Hotel?

Deena Jones2
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Good shows in London?
Posted: 4/11/04 at 10:02am

Yes, the Savoy theatre is part of the hotel and its a gorgeous art deco jewel!

~*MusicalTwinSiStar1*~ Profile Photo
~*MusicalTwinSiStar1*~
#9Well...,
Posted: 4/11/04 at 3:01pm

I'd say Les Mis!!! *g* I saw it last year..., no wait I think it's already been two years ago, and it was FANTASTIC, PHENOMENAL, BRILLIANT!!! I think it was 100% worth it!!! To me it was the best I've ever seen so far!!! Well..., :)

Nice greetings, ~*MusicalTwinSiStar1*~
The ~*MusicalTwinSiStars*~ online!

~*MusicalTwin*~

kec Profile Photo
kec
#10re: Well...,
Posted: 4/12/04 at 5:36pm

I recommend Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... I just saw it this past weekend (again), with a mostly new cast -- Gary Wilmot is still playing Caractacus -- and it was a very enjoyable evening. If your friend has seen and enjoyed the film version, I'm sure she'll enjoy the stage musical as well.

Ruffian
#11re: re: Well...,
Posted: 4/12/04 at 5:37pm

Tell your friend to also check out THE NATIONAL, they ALWAYS have good shows playing

#12re: re: re: Well...,
Posted: 4/12/04 at 9:19pm

The National is a must. Always interesting theater and the backstage tour is also very interesting.

Ruffian
#13re: re: re: re: Well...,
Posted: 4/13/04 at 8:54am

The NATIONAL Backstage Tour was FANTASTIC