pixeltracker

American imperialism within contemporary British Theatre

American imperialism within contemporary British Theatre

sandbagtheatreco
#0American imperialism within contemporary British Theatre
Posted: 4/10/04 at 10:33am

Are all things American taking over British Theatre?? Is America potentially Ben Elton's 'Globalsoft' of the future? If so, what is being done to prevent this cultural imperialism? If indeed it needs to be prevented? Help bolster my dissertation, all views welcome :) Updated On: 4/10/04 at 10:33 AM

Dennis2
#1re: American imperialism within contemporary British Theatre
Posted: 4/10/04 at 10:39am

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. There are plenty of British shows coming to America next season and ALW musicals and Les Miz ruled Broadway for years.

I don't like ice cream

sandbagtheatreco
#2re: re: American imperialism within contemporary British Theatre
Posted: 4/10/04 at 11:11am

Yeah, but American culture is saturating Britain at present, with American plays and musicals being on the same par as Britsh plays and musicals(in relation to numbers of shows being performed)- is britain not just becoming the 51st state? Aren't there other countries and cultures to learn about in the world??? Or was that just a myth?!

FindingNamo
#3re: re: re: American imperialism within contemporary British Theatre
Posted: 4/10/04 at 11:38am

Yes, it's become the 51st state, which has cleared the way for Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley to run in the next presidential election. If they promise to make Franz Ferdinand the heads of National Endowment for the Arts, they've got my vote.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Videos