I need some explanation!!!

BroadwayBoy2005 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2005
#0I need some explanation!!!
Posted: 7/11/04 at 10:54pm

Hey everyone. Once again, I need a little tutorial on some theatre things I don't quite understand, so you're assistance will be appreciated!

Ok, when a show 'tries out in another city before it comes to Broadway, how is that particular city/theater chosen?

My second question is (and it's really none of my business, but I want to know) what is the salary of someone on Broadway? Say for example, Hunter Foster- that kind of salary.

Thanks!
-bb2005

Gothampc
#1re: I need some explanation!!!
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:02pm

It used to be that there was a selection of cities that every show tried out in such as New Haven, CT. However, it is now based on the individual producer and how big their pocketbook is.

Salaries on Broadway vary by according to many different factors such as how big the star is, etc. My guess is that Hunter Foster makes about $2,000-3,000/week.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#2re: I need some explanation!!!
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:33pm

hmm.. i bet he makes more than that.. extras make about 1600.. Stars of musicals make like 30,000.. people such as Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Antonio... etc.. can make as much as 100,000 /wk

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#3re: I need some explanation!!!
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:50pm

A) "Extras" work in film/tv. No such thing in theatre. (You mean "Ensemble", hun)

2) "Stars" negotiate everything with their contracts - so there's no "set" amount that anyone could tell you about Hunter. Leads can negotiate car services(most do), whether or not they will perform the matinees (you have to be pretty BIG to get that one), a percentage of the weekly box office income, royalities from a cast recording.....lots to consider...

III) Here's the BASE RATE for the "Production Contract" - the contract AEA uses for Broadway & Equity National Tours:

Since 6/30/03, the minimum is $1354/week - not including a per-diem for tours...

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears

Plum
#4re: I need some explanation!!!
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:56pm

Big, giant stars, which is people like Bernadette Peters and Hugh Jackman, usually get about $35,000-$50,000 a week, plus a percentage of each week's takings. The exceptional $100,000 figure, as far as I know, only applied to Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in their second run in The Producers.

Someone like Hunter Foster would be a couple of rungs lower than that. $15,000-$25,000 a week, maybe, and not so many extra benefits.

Jon
#5re: I need some explanation!!!
Posted: 7/12/04 at 12:17am

I'm gonna split the difference between Goth and Plum's estimates, and guess that Hunter Foster was probably in the $5000 to $7000 range for Little Shop, and is now making $10,000 a week for The Producers.

Plum
#6re: I need some explanation!!!
Posted: 7/12/04 at 10:58am

That's probably more accurate, Jon.

Videos