Smile the Musical

elphie bowles Profile Photo
elphie bowles
#0Smile the Musical
Posted: 8/24/04 at 10:30pm

Anybody heard of it?! I did the song "disneyland" from it for a competition..but all I know about the show is that it's about a Beauty Pageant and it only ran for 42 performances on broadway. Does anyone know anything else?

Thanks, A.

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#1re: Smile the Musical
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:24pm

The show follows a week leading up to the pageant and the actual pageant itself. It follows several of the girls and what they go through throughout the competition. It has some good music, but I think one of the reasons it done as much could be that you need to pretty much put on a pageant to do it and there is a plotline involving one of the girls and some dirty pictures, one of which is shown during the pageant. I like the show myself but I have only read the script and heard the music, I haven't seen an actual prodution. I think the original production had Veanne Cox in it though. Updated On: 8/24/04 at 11:24 PM

elphie bowles Profile Photo
elphie bowles
#2re: Smile the Musical
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:32pm

Thanks! You have no idea how long i've been trying to find information on this musical.

bwaybaby2 Profile Photo
bwaybaby2
#3re: Smile the Musical
Posted: 8/25/04 at 2:17am

Smile is an amazing show!!!!!! jodi benson, the voice of the little mermaid was doris, the lead who sings disneyland and yes, veanne cox was in it... its amazing... i have the cd

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#4re: Smile the Musical
Posted: 8/25/04 at 4:17am

I don't know much about the show. I had a friend who was in the workshop production of it.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

#5re: Smile the Musical
Posted: 9/23/04 at 11:38pm

ah smile....
I did it about 7 years ago in highschool. It really has fabulous music, but of course it's a musical about a beauty pageant. sabotage and what not. cute though. Disneyland is a wonderful song, done it many times at auditions and such. Anyone who can get me an MP3/wav of any of the songs would be wonderful. email me at jcy2101@columbia.edu.

MTGoddess
#6re: Smile the Musical
Posted: 9/24/04 at 12:23am

Note for any high school or small town directors:
If you have the same problem my mom does in her high school, a smallish high school with very few boys who are willing to try out for the musical, this is a great show to do! She put it on a few years ago, and it was one of her favorite shows they've done. There are several great female roles, a couple of good male roles, and some really neat music (Disneyland is a great song!). It's also good if you're on a tight budget. It's set in the 80s, but can be changed a little to fit the times, and that saves a bundle on the costumes.

showstopper
#7re: Smile the Musical
Posted: 9/24/04 at 8:09am

elphie here's a link that will tell you: http://www.a2ct.org/archives/show/smileprev.htm

Videos