Is it just me........

broadwayinthebigcity Profile Photo
broadwayinthebigcity
#0Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 3:46pm

Is it just me or is Broadway turning into a big amateur singing contest with all the Justin Guarini's and the Tamyra Gray's to name a few.

"as good or quite likely better than any other show with killer rabbits and a legless knight opening on Broadway this season." -Eric Idle on SPAMALOT

timote316
#1re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:01pm

I heard Justin was actually very good in Good Vibrations in its pre-Broadway run. And its only two people, not really a trend (yet lol)

Good points, Beaverhausen. A Broadway Catch-22 re: Is it just me........

pab Profile Photo
pab
#2re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:21pm

"Then these people will also be exposed to traditional Broadway artists and learn that there is sooooo much more out there than just little Britney and the American Idols."

I don't want to pay $100 for a ticket to see someone be exposed to traditional Broadway artists. People who perform on Broadway should know what they are doing before they get there, so they should learn everything they need to know elsewhere. I can't ever get my money back after seeing Scary Spice screw up Mimi in "Rent". Yeah, she might be better in the next role that she does but that's at my expense. Broadway is supposed to different (better) then the other crap that's out there and if this continues to happen we can all kiss Broadway goodbye.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:23pm

Most people won't pay the $100 to see people they haven't heard of. That's the catch-22 here.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Ebonic_Singer
#4re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:24pm

Actually, it was stated on a previous thread that Justin had been on Broadway and has been trained previous to his American Idol fame. Trust me, I'm not a fan of stunt casting, but some of the celebrities put on stage have had prior experience, so if you want to choose a celebrity to pick on who has been on stage, choose one who got it simply because of their name, please.

Ebonic_Singer
#5re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:31pm

Frenchie is another one who is majoring in theater and wants to pursue it first. I dont think people will specifically buy a ticket to rent to see her in a minor role.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#6re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:37pm

I know that there are people out there (pop stars) who are actually not only good at what they do but they can also perform well on Broadway but my example, Melanie Brown, was not one of them and I can go on and name some more. It's a really desperate move by some producers and it's quite sickening. I have no idea what Justin can or can't do and I did not refer to him in my post. I really liked Frenchie in "Rent" when I saw her but because of the Scary Spice ordeal that my friend and I had to sit though, I not only felt that I had wasted $200 on our tickets but I have no desire to see that show again for fear that it will further taint my fond memories of my first visit there. By the way I had talked up this show to my friend and during Out Tonight he turned to me said "and this won Best Musical?"

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

pab Profile Photo
pab
#7re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:40pm

Well, it seems as if we posted our last posts at exactly the same time.

Ebonic_Singer
#8re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:51pm

OKay, featured role. And I guess I misunderstood. And I saw rent with scary too--she was terrrrrible. My friend took me cause she's in love with Jai Rodriguez--there's someone who's famous yet awsome on Broadway, and he also did it before his fame too.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#9re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 4:58pm

I have absolutely not problem with stunt casting if the person being cast in the role can sing or act and Jai is a good example. I just don't want to be subjected to the ones that can't sing or act and give them my hard earned money as they "Learn" how to do it.

broadwayguy2
#10re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 5:03pm

how is jai stunt casting?????????????????

Ebonic_Singer
#11re: Is it just me........
Posted: 10/17/04 at 5:03pm

he isn't. He was just famous i guess.

Videos