Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis

Victoria Grant Profile Photo
Victoria Grant
#0Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis
Posted: 9/17/03 at 12:01pm

In the 1994 revival Jerry Lewis performed as Applegate and was very funny I must say. However I have had difficult time trying to find the cd version with him on it. Does anybody know if they ever released a Jerry Lewis version?

TEACHEROFTHEATER Profile Photo
TEACHEROFTHEATER
#1re: Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis
Posted: 9/17/03 at 12:46pm

I loved the Jerry Lewis tour of Damn Yankees. I do not think a cd was made with him.........of course there is however, the OCR of that revival production that played Broadway and starred Victor Garber, Bebe Neuwirth and Jarod Emmick. I listen to that cd often, it is wonderful:)

"MAY YOUR LIFE BE AS BRIGHT AS BROADWAY AT NIGHT"

tpdc
#2re: re: Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis
Posted: 9/17/03 at 3:12pm

I don't think they recorded it with him. I hear he was better on Broadway than he was in the tour. I saw him on tour. I thought he was OK. I liked Victor Garber much more. The only person who didn't knock me out in the Broadway company was Bebe. Her tour replacement, Valerie Wright, was wonderful and walked off with the show, in my opinion.

Dollypop
#3re: re: re: Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis
Posted: 9/17/03 at 6:19pm

I saw the Jerry Lewis version and Charlotte d'Amboise was SUPPOSED to be Lola. However, once again Charlotte was out and I saw Valerie Wright--who was quite good. I have gone to see Charlotte in many different shows but her understudies always go on when I'm in attendance. I'm starting to get a complex.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SuttonBebeFaith
#4re: re: re: re: Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis
Posted: 9/17/03 at 8:47pm

He was good in the show. As was Valerie Wright. I understand there are many people who don't like her....any reason why? I read some not so kind things about her in "Steel Pier".

Dollypop
#5re: re: re: re: re: Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis
Posted: 9/18/03 at 7:08pm

Everything about STEEL PIER was so botched up that it was hard to determine what was good and what was bad. The show was a mess, and to think I saw that on the same day I saw TITANIC: the musical. What a dreadful day!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

#6re: Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis
Posted: 9/18/03 at 7:11pm

Try the OBC with Gwen Verdon. You won't go wrong.

Valerie Wright is quite a skillful performer. I saw her in ESPRESSO TRASHO at the NYC Fringe Festival last month. She was very good.

Yours for a Broadway full of Lolas!

theatrediva10086
#7re: Damn Yankees w/ Jerry Lewis
Posted: 9/18/03 at 7:16pm

I also saw the tour with Jerry Lewis...He was terrific...Valerie Wright was great, as was Julie Prosser who played Meg at the performance I was at...Linda Gabler was Gloria, and I later saw her in Victor/Victoria which she was also wonderful in...
I wish they made a recording of it..I have two other recordings, but I would love a copy of Mr. Lewis singing the songs...
I think who ever is in charge of these things, should make recordings of national tours as well as OCR's...

I had a dream... I dreamed it for you June... It wasn't for me Herbie... And if it wasn't for me, then where would you be, Miss. Gypsy Rose Lee?