pixeltracker

sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld

sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld

Yankeefan007
#0sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld
Posted: 1/4/05 at 2:54pm

will open at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre April 21, 2005, previews start on the 4th of that month.
Among the alterations of the show: a "surprise twist" to the musical's ending; the addition of "If There Were More People Like You," a Coleman-Fields tune penned for an unproduced musical, which will replace "I Love to Cry at Weddings"; and the return of "Charity's Soliloquy" — which had been cut in subsequent stagings and for the film version — to the show's first act.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/90422.html

gherbert
#1re: sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:17pm

If they screw with the ending and supplant the "happy" ending it will run the entire show. Completely.

broadwayguy2001
#2re: sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:23pm

Being someone who isn't really familiar with the show at all with the exception of brief excerpts from the movie and the ever-popular "Rich Man'Frug," "If They Could See Me Now," and "Big Spender," I'm pretty excited to see what the show will turn out to be. Not to mention, they do have two out-of-town tryouts to get things solid. I also love seeing revivals of classics and trying out new things. That is what revivals are! :)

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#3re: sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:29pm

They have 3 out-of-town tryouts..

gherbert
#4re: sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:29pm

Broadwayguy2001,

I agree that revival are a chance to try new things with the staging and direction and performances.

But why try to drastically alter something that isn't bad in the first place. I am a little upset at the "new song" replacing, "I Love to Cry at Weddings." But the ending really sums up the entire show. To change it to the "happy ending" that Fosse rejected several times would just ruin the entire show and make it 1000 times less powerful.

Yankeefan007
#5re: sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:31pm

wat is the original ending? Updated On: 1/4/05 at 06:31 PM

Derek
#6re: sweet charity confirmed for hirshfeld
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:54pm

Charity in a word "gets dumped" and just has to move on with her life, but her, being the girl with high hopes, smiles and does just that. its kind of happy in a sense that she remains strong and hopeful.

Videos