What's a non-Equity tour?

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#0What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 6:18am

That's the question! What's a non-Equity tour?

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

MusicalComedyMan
#1re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 6:48am

2 types of non equity tours, 1 is a tour that doesn't hire professional actors. 2. some types of shows aren't in equity's jurisdiction like BLAST, STOMP, BLUE MAN GROUP, etc.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#2re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 6:52am

"1 is a tour that doesn't hire professional actors"

So is it an amateur show? Like community theatre? Which can sometimes be a bit hit-and-miss...or are the performances of a higher standard?

MusicalComedyMan
#3re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 6:59am

not amateur or community theatre, but certainly not Broadway caliber. They might have the same sets, costumes, lighting, etc, but the cast is usually weaker.

Glindafan
#4re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 8:05am

One of the most important differences is that a non-equity tour actor is injured, there is no medical coverage and that person is left to fend for themselves - no medical coverage unlike equity actors. That is one of the reasons non-equity tours are a tough life, but sometimes it is the only alternative for actors seeking scarce jobs.

Wisdom often comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone

Jon
#5re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 8:17am

The actors are "professional" - they are paid, but they are not members of the union. They get paid much less, and don't get insurance or pension benefits.

The big objection to these tours is when they are billed as "Broadway" productions. They may be using a version of the Broadway sets and costumes, doing a version of the Broadway choreography, but none of the actors have ever actually appeared on Broadway.

MusicalComedyMan
#6re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 8:24am

They haven't appeared on Bway or ANY legitmate theatre. I can pay my son a dollar to do a scene from a play, but that doesn't make him a professional. The standard term "professional" means that they are union actors.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#7re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 8:24am

Aah...it all becomes clearer. Thanks gang! Another question, since the cast get paid less and there are less outgoings than an Equity show (i.e. the producers don't have to pay pension or health), are tickets proportionally cheaper than an Equity tour of the same show?

MusicalComedyMan
#8re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 8:25am

Nope... same ticket price re: What's a non-Equity tour?

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#9re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 8:50am

Oh. Right. So, I guess if most people had the choice of watching an Equity or a non-Equity tour, they'd opt for Equity.

erinrebecca
#10re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:17am

Non-equity ticket prices are not necessarily the same price as equity tours, and they're certainly not the same price as you'd pay on Broadway. The actors are indeed professionals and are paid. They may not have performed on Broadway shows before but that certainly does not mean they aren't talented. It depends totally on the particular tour. There are many very talented individuals in non-equity tours. Usually they have better training and are better educated than many Broadway performers. Many of the non-eq actors are recent BFA grads. For example, many fans who have seen the current non-equity tour of Rent feel that the cast is superior to the Broadway cast. I'm not one who believes that but there are certainly a lot who do.

Natalie 2 Profile Photo
Natalie 2
#11re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:23am

Thank you ErinRebecca. Obviously, a lot of people on this thread have forgotten where their roots are. Sure, while a lot of non-equity tours have younger casts...that doesn't always mean they're weaker. In our case, our cast is fresher and more exuberant than a lot of equity performances I've seen. We have insurance, we have workers comp. We do get paid less than Broadway, but not necessarily less than some of the new shows going out that are Equity. A non=equity tour also plays smaller towns that the Equity tours have missed. Like Portland, Maine and Jacksonville, Florida. Here's a quote from a paper in Portland, Maine: "Credit the show's producing organization, Big League Theatricals Inc., for making a touring show of this quality - and a non-Equity one at that - affordable for smaller markets like Portland. Whatever your feelings about non-union employers, they do give talented performers more opportunities to work, and host venues the chance to bring these elaborate shows into town at prices families can afford. This particular "42nd Street" didn't stint on the costumes, sets or performing skill, so apparently it can be done. "

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#12re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:32am

Natalie and erinrebecca: I take your points, I hope it didn't seem like I was being disparaging about non-Equity performers...I'm sure there are many great tours.

Natalie 2 Profile Photo
Natalie 2
#13re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:34am

No problem jc...that's what this thread is for...now you have many opinions to choose from! re: What's a non-Equity tour?

breakneckspeed
#14re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:35am

Also, on a non-equity tour...your contract really means nothing. You can be fired for any reason at any time. Got sick and refused to perform a few times? Watch out, you might be fired...Little consideration is taken for the actors...they are bused around in cramped quarters, and there is no minimum stay at a theatre or how soon again they might have to perform after travelling from the last venue to the next. For instance, they may have one performance on a Thursday night in Nashville - and after the show they are bused all night - all the way up to Kalamazoo, MI and have to perform the show again that night. Most non-equity actors agree to these tours because they are YOUNG...and want "experience"...Generally, younger performers can handle these kind of situations better...however it may turn out to be a bit more of an "experience" than they originally bargained for. Non-equity tours means more strain (and potential health problems) for actors with maybe one THIRD of an equity pay rate...and no one watching out for their well being. Maybe you get a nice company manager - maybe not. It's a huge scam for the producers to suck as much money out of the smallest budget as possible!

Natalie 2 Profile Photo
Natalie 2
#15re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:41am

Interesting breakneck...I agree with a lot of what you said, but I really think you have to be careful for which company you work for. We have amazing company managers on our tour, but I've heard some horror stories about some of the other non-eq companies. We are booked with a crazy schedule, but we have been able to fly on occasion. I understand that Equity tours usually play a minimum of a week at each venue...wow, that sounds great. But ours isn't that bad. We do some week-long engagements and split weeks. Of course, this is our first year out. I've heard that when you get into the second and third years, it gets a little more ridiculous. And I do think you're right about younger people being able to handle this better. I can't see some big name Broadway legend getting on a bus at 7 a.m. to travel for eight hours!

timote316
#16re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:43am

Let's all remember: 'non-equity' DOES NOT mean 'not good'. If you are a non-equity actor, it doesn't mean you aren't good enough for an Equity tour or even Broadway, it just means you aren't there yet. These people (well, most of them, all maybe too much of a generalization) work their butts off to advance in the acting world (meaning: to get Equity). Broadway (and acting as a profession in general) is a world of connections. These non-Equity actors just don't have the connections necessary to get places. Being a part of these tours is a way to draw attention to yourself as an actor, to get connections.

A perfect example of this: the Rent tour.

Natalie 2 Profile Photo
Natalie 2
#17re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:46am

I love you Timote...that's exactly it. Have these people forgotten how hard it is to break in to the scene?

erinrebecca
#18re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:56am

Hey, Natalie, I'm not sure if it's a matter of them forgetting where their roots are or possibly just a case of them never finding success. re: What's a non-Equity tour? Anyway, I have no problem supporting non-equity tours. The ones I've seen have been good, with some individual standout performances. Pretty much the same I could say for equity tours. In any case, the whole eq vs. non-eq debate annoys me because those who only support equity don't admit that Equity could solve the dilemma once and for all by granting Equity cards to every non-eq. actor out there. Alas, they'd never dream of doing that. Congrats to you and best wishes on your non-eq tour. Which one are you on?

Natalie 2 Profile Photo
Natalie 2
#19re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:59am

Thanks ErinRebecca. I'm on 42nd Street tour right now. We're doing well! Sure, it's not an easy life, but I'm so glad to be working. I totally agree with you, I know the theatre industry is cut-throat, but is any other union this elitist?

breakneckspeed
#20re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:18am

Actually, you are completely wrong Erin. Equity has tried on MANY occassions to work out deals with the producers of non-equity tours to allow the companies to join equity - but just not under the same conditions stipulated in their original non-equity contract. Ideas have been tossed around of a different tier of equity contract for a smaller tour. Equity is there to protect and HELP actors - not to hurt them. They don't support non-equity tours or endorse them because they believe that they are abusive to the actors, which I also believe they are. Why should someone doing 42nd St on tour earn a third of what someone else doing the same role on Broadway is earning? It's absurd!

And as far as to "work their butts off" towards equity through a non-equity tour...if by "working" you mean earning EMC (equity candidate membership) points - they aren't granted for an equity tour!! You can tour for years in a non-equity tour, however, you will not be one step closer to equity. If by "working" you mean getting experience in the profession (or a VERSION of the profession) - that's possible - however, if the actors are really that good, why not hang around NY for a few months and wait for your number to come up for a chorus role? If you were offered a job on the 42nd Street tour, and you are just as good as the dancers in 42nd Street on Broadway...why not just wait until you can be moved in to one of those spots? Do you really think being on a non-equity tour is where people are going to notice you? I don't think many NYC casting directors head out to Kalamazoo, MI to check out the non-equity tours...How do you think you're ever going to get an equity job if you are stuck in this tour and out of the city and talent pool?? And as far as connections and all that go, if you have what it takes...it will happen. There are many people I know who have landed roles on Broadway just months after graduating from school.

And as far as this non-equity RENT tour is concerned...of course it's good!! They are living the life of the story! They are suffering through - being barely able to pay their "rent" for their art! They are all young and "authentic" - much unlike the Broadway cast...who most have had a lot of experience and years doing the show, and are earning much bigger bucks...and let's not forget Drew Lachey - do we really think he knows what the heck he's singing about? Probably not anywhere CLOSE to what those RENT tour kids do!

Overall, this non-equity thing is not a debate about TALENT of the performers (although sometimes it could be) but whether or not they deserve to be treated with the respect and dignity they deserve for their work.

Natalie 2 Profile Photo
Natalie 2
#21re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:29am

Wow breakneck...a lot of anger. May I ask which tour you're on? I also agree with you. I just think I'm having a better time of it. I'm not a dancer in the show, so for me to jump into a Broadway ensemble role isn't an option. I'm glad to work, I would love to make more money and I know I will. This is definitely a stepping stone...but it's not as awful as you make it out to be.

timote316
#22re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:33am

Natalie, you are on the 42nd Street tour thats in Providence? I was going to go see it, but I never got the chance! (I'd go tonight but I have plans already :-/) Break a leg!

Sorry, back on topic lol

Natalie 2 Profile Photo
Natalie 2
#23re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:35am

Yes I am Timote! We would have loved to have you...

Providence has been great. We did a benefit concert last night at a little bar called Union that went over really well.

erinrebecca
#24re: What's a non-Equity tour?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:48am

breakneckspeed, you obviously have a lot of anger pent up, my friend. And, no, I'm not totally wrong about Equity and their so-called negotiations with the non-eq tours/producers/actors. I'm aware of those 'negotiations', but as you said, they weren't to be accepted on the same terms. If Equity truly wanted to protect actors, they could easily arrange to grant Equity cards to every non-Equity actor out there. And that would be the end of non-eq tours. Simple. But they'll never do that. Their real concern is the competition that these tours are providing and the fact that Equity actors are losing out on those jobs.

As for the actors on the Rent tour living the story, give me a break. I have several friends who have been on the various legs of the tour. They're hardly starving artists. And not all of them are young. Several, in fact, are older than many of the Broadway cast. They're, on the whole, better educated than their Broadway counterparts. The average age is not that much different than that of the Broadway cast. But, I repeat, none are starving artists and if you truly think they are, then you are incredibly naive. And Drew Lachey is another issue altogether.

Videos