pixeltracker

Does anyone know of a good show -by- show character breakdown reference source?

Does anyone know of a good show -by- show character breakdown reference source?

truffleshuffle Profile Photo
truffleshuffle
#0Does anyone know of a good show -by- show character breakdown reference source?
Posted: 1/19/05 at 10:08am

I'm currently in search of a show-by-show character breakdown reference manual. Be it on the web or otherwise.I've already exhausted the Stanley Green "Show by Show", as well as "Not Since Carrie." I need actual lists of every character in the show, preferably with a brief description. Some form of breakdown that starts with shows from the 1940's on. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for your help.

When dame fortune tosses me a curve, I never give away to despair, I hang on with every little nerve, trying to keep my balance as I dangle in air.

Switz78 Profile Photo
Switz78
#1re: Does anyone know of a good show -by- show character breakdown reference source?
Posted: 1/19/05 at 10:22am

There is an old book called Musical Notes that is great and was in my library in college.

Musical Notes : A Practical Guide to Staffing and Staging Standards of the American Musical Theater by Carol Lucha-Burns

The Musicals No One Came to See: A Guidebook to Four Decades of Musical-Comedy Casualties on Broadway, Off-Broadway and in Out-Of Town Try-Out, 1943

They have used copies on amazon.com for $47 first book-$60 second book.
The first has a lot of shows from 1915-1985 and gives character breakdown and song list along with a brief plot synopsis and what type of song each one is. I found it very useful in college.
The second one I'm not too sure about but have had it on my wishlist as it looks like a good reference guide as well.

truffleshuffle Profile Photo
truffleshuffle
#2re: Does anyone know of a good show -by- show character breakdown reference source?
Posted: 1/19/05 at 10:32am

Thanks a million, Switz!! I'll check it out.

When dame fortune tosses me a curve, I never give away to despair, I hang on with every little nerve, trying to keep my balance as I dangle in air.

Videos