NEO cast recording

broadwaynut20
#0NEO cast recording
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:28pm

I saw on the jay records website the cd called NEO(new, entertaining, original). Does anyone have this cd or does anyone know anything about it?

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#1re: NEO cast recording
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:41pm

Since it's just been released, I think you might have to wait a bit get a review of the CD. But our very own Jamie McGonnigal who directed it, I am sure can tell you all about it!

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
Updated On: 4/19/05 at 03:41 PM

LucyThropp
#2re: NEO cast recording
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:42pm

I'm pretty sure this is a new cd that I saw at the York Theatre this weekend. It was done a few years ago at the York and had many actors/actresses singing different songs. I don't remember exact names at the moment, but do remember that some of the people are in Broadway shows now. I know that's nothing too specific! but hope it helps some. :)

JamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
#3re: NEO cast recording
Posted: 4/20/05 at 8:47am

Hey there,

Yup...this is the live recording of the NEO Concert at the York Theatre, as recorded in June of 2003. It took a long time for it to come out (mostly due to a lot of red tape that has to be cut through when dealing with benefits/unions). But we're very excited that it's finally out! It's funny...in listening to it, Tonya Pinkins is introduced as "the star of the upcoming 'Caroline, or Change' at the Public Theatre." So in the time it took for this CD to come out, Caroline opened and closed at the Public, moved to Broadway, closed and toured and closed again. Not bad, eh?

Anyway, the CD is really remarkable quality with some fantastic new music. Some of the not-to-be-missed performances include Barbara Walsh's "Richard" by Leslie Becker and Mary Mitchell Campbell, Laura Benanti's "Leading Man" by David Rossmer and Dan Lipton, Matt Morrison's "A Normal Life" from The Opposite of Sex, Deven May singing "Sensitive Song" by Larry O'Keefe and Nell Benjamin, Kerry Butler and Laura Bell Bundy belting their faces off in "Any Day" from The Three Musketeers, and of course Darius de Haas singing "Field Flowers," a poem by my ancestor, Thomas Campbell, as set to music by my friend Pat Rasile.

I'm COMPLETELY biased but I think any fan of any of these performers as wella s new musicals should definitely go pick this one up. No doubt, a number of the songs will be heard on Broadway and Off in the not-too-distant future. Also-sales of this CD benefit the York Theatre Company (one of the only companies in the city that so fully supports the development of new musical theatre). ENJOY!

"There is nothing scary about life, if you are not attached to the results." - Conversations With God

gencamera Profile Photo
gencamera
#4re: NEO cast recording
Posted: 4/20/05 at 11:55am

Hi Jamie!
Glad that this CD is finally coming out!
Bryan Batt and the Caveman song was so funny!

Genevieve--who was actually at the NEO performance!

Genevieve IF "A photo is worth a thousand word."...then let my camera do the talking for me!

Cyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
#5re: NEO cast recording
Posted: 4/20/05 at 2:39pm

Glad to hear this one is finally out and you got through all the red tape.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#6re: NEO cast recording
Posted: 5/30/05 at 12:39pm

I just finished listening to both CDs and have to say that I am very sorry I wasn't in the audience for this one. The CD is a must own - especially for those that what to exposed to lesser known music/composers who have an incredible amount of talent.

A clip of Kerry and Laura singing "Any Day" is now in the recordings section of Kerry's website. Link is below...
kerrybutler.net - click on "lastest news"

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Josh Freilich
#7re: NEO cast recording
Posted: 3/1/06 at 3:06pm

Craig, I am also sorry I couldn't be there. It would've been awesome. But I'm glad I at least got it on CD. All the songs in it sound great. I couldn't stop playing "Sensitive Song" for my camp friends (they were all embracing it with open arms), and I actually got to do Joe: The Musical as a workshop at camp (the writers went there originally) before it actually gets staged.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

Videos