Costumes -Equity contracts

Orsomething Profile Photo
Orsomething
#0Costumes -Equity contracts
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:41pm

so im sorry if this has been brought up before..but someone had told me that under equity contract... when a performer takes over for someone else it is required that the costumes and shoes be new and like..not the ones the original person wore...
i thought that was complete bull... lol... is that true?...

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" -Wizard of Oz

#1re: Costumes -Equity contracts
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:46pm

i think its true for principles atleast- and also true for wigs. think about it, itd be a hygienic concern for one plus can you imagine forcing someone to shove their size 7 foot into a size 6 shoe or force them to lose weight to wear a size 2 dress? or have an outfit just look awful cuz its too big?

Orsomething Profile Photo
Orsomething
#2re: Costumes -Equity contracts
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:48pm

yah true..but it seems like they could fix the costume to better fit the person.. lol..but maybe not.. okay so now i have seen the light

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" -Wizard of Oz

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#3re: Costumes -Equity contracts
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:48pm

there was a really good and informative thread on costume issues. I'll try to find it for you...

EDIT: I found it: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=861448#1285024

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
Updated On: 8/12/05 at 11:48 PM

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#4re: Costumes -Equity contracts
Posted: 8/13/05 at 1:07am

the wig thing must be a bitch in shows like hairspray that the wigs are quite unique looking (i know every edna and penny have had different wig styles from their predicessors)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Jon
#5re: Costumes -Equity contracts
Posted: 8/13/05 at 9:07am

That MAY be true onBroadway, but it is certainly NOT true in Equity regional theatres. Regional theatres often rent costumes - sometimes they rent the original Bropadway costumes of shows that have closed - so certainly these clothes have been worn by other actors. And in regional theatres, understudies often don't get their own costumes. If they have to go on, they wear the costumes of the person they are replacing. I have a close friend who was cast as as an understudy (ans in the chorus) only AFTER they made sure she would fit the leading lady's costumes, since the character had several very expensive gowns and they were NOT going to make duplicates.

st8gemom
#6re: Costumes -Equity contracts
Posted: 8/13/05 at 1:27pm

My daughter understudied a lead at a regional theatre...the person playing the lead was Equity, my daughter was not. They made separate costumes for my daughter (although she and the other girl were the same size). I was told this was because of Equity rules.

Videos