Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man

SongNDanceman2402
#0Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/18/05 at 8:09pm

I read in a Broadway book that there was a short revival of the Music Man with Dick Van Dyke in it. Does anyone have any information on it? is there a soundtrack? thanks!

Dollypop
#1re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/18/05 at 8:44pm

As it was a live Broadway production, there was no "soundtrack". Soundtracks are taken from films.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Gothampc
#2re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/18/05 at 9:00pm

I don't believe a cast recording was made. The show played at City Center in 1980. Even though Dick Van Dyke seems like a great Harold Hill, I don't believe he received good reviews. The show is noted for the young Winthrop, Christian Slater.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#3re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/18/05 at 9:47pm

I saw him in the show at the Pantages in L.A. He was terrible in the part. I was always a fan but his Harold Hill was waaaaaaay off base. He had no sexual allure, played Hill as a baffoon and you never once saw a change in character from a coniving schemer who finally sees the light. Harold Hill came off as Buddy and Albert combined.

Dollypop
#4re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/18/05 at 10:59pm

"I saw him in the show..."

Since the last masculine noun in the preceding post was Christian Slater, is it he to whom you're referring?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 8/18/05 at 10:59 PM

SongNDanceman2402
#5re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/18/05 at 11:55pm

oh. i'm sorry to hear he wasnt so great.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#6re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/19/05 at 12:29am

Someone else on this board mentioned a while ago that supposedly he was drunk a lot during the run...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/19/05 at 12:37am

My friend played Amaryllis in the City Center revival - and yes, it was a very short run. No, there is no recording.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

SongNDanceman2402
#8re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/19/05 at 10:46am

oh.

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#9re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/19/05 at 1:47pm

I saw this on tour at the Arie Crown in Chicago one Mother's Day a hundred years ago. Not terribly memorable, but for the performance of Meg Bussert as Marian (of library fame), who received a Tony nomination the same year for Brigadoon. Best I can find, she's now on the faculty at NYU in the Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

MusicalDirector109
#10re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/19/05 at 4:14pm

I saw the production and Mr. Van Dyke was drunk. He screwed up "Trouble" big time and I also remember his face begin so terribly red. It was not a good production.

SongNDanceman2402
#11re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/19/05 at 4:34pm

i would hate to pay all that money to have the lead drunk on stage.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#12re: Dick Van Dyke in The Music Man
Posted: 8/19/05 at 5:02pm

Yes, this was during Van Dyke's period of alcoholism. Steven Susskind said in one of his books "He was on the wagon-And not the Wells Fargo Wagon, either."

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!
Updated On: 8/19/05 at 05:02 PM

Videos