pixeltracker

Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?- Page 2

Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?

Dollypop
#25re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 9:42pm

Yup, the geritatric set has seen some pretty magnificent theater. What have the youngin's seen. Oh, that's right! WICKED.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

roquat
#26re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:42pm

Lansbury said later that she didn't especially like playing Anna and didn't thik she was right for it, because it was a "restrained" role. She only got raves, though.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

Jay94
#28re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 5:25am

I'm old enough to have seen Ethel Merman in Anything Goes and Annie Get Your Gun. Oh yeah and Celeste Holm in Oklahoma!

explorer Profile Photo
explorer
#29re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 6:54am

Angela was wonderful as always.

Gaveston2
#30re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 3:39pm

Excuse me, but I saw Lansbury in the role and I'm not quite ready for the graveyard, Theaterguy2!

I saw it, too, and I'm practically camped at the cemetery gates.

But I agree with Dollypop that Lansbury was wonderful in THE KING AND I.

Having worked on the tour with Brynner the year before, I thought it was interesting how the emphasis changed when a different role became the star part. I'm not sure I agree with Dolly that Kermoyan was a strong enough foil as the King.

I found myself fantasizing about how the show would play with both Brynner and Lansbury. Unfortunately, by that time, he was playing everything out front a la Ethel Merman and it's hard to imagine Lansbury wanting to deal with that. And equally hard to imagine Brynner letting another big name on "his" stage.

Dollypop
#31re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 10:50pm

Remember the hairdo Kermoyan wore as The King? It was something Lady GaGa would come up with these days!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

explorer Profile Photo
explorer
#32re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/5/12 at 11:03pm

That's funny Dollypop because I do remember that hairdo!!

sanfrankid1 Profile Photo
sanfrankid1
#33re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 12:59am

Yes I was there and glad to know others remember her beautiful performance!

Gaveston2
#34re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 4:00am

I haven't thought of the hairdo in decades, but now that you mention it, Dolly, it was indeed remarkable!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#35re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 4:30am

There is also a bootleg of this ( Audio ) floating around as well, Ms Lansbury sounds wonderful.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#36re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 4:30am

There is also a bootleg of this ( Audio ) floating around as well, Ms Lansbury sounds wonderful.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#37re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 6:48pm

I'm 22 and I am jealous that you all got to see her performances. I would have KILLED to have been alive and of age enough to see her in Dear World and Gypsy.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

Gaveston2
#38re: Angela Lansbury As Anna Leonowens?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 9:33pm

As I've said elsewhere, Angela Lansbury in MAME, GYPSY and SWEENEY TODD are three of the greatest performances I've ever seen. Actually, 60 of the greatest performances I've seen since that's about how many times I saw her in those three shows alone.

And she was very good in THE KING AND I, as well, but I know exactly what the poster above means about the role of Anna L. being "more restrained".

Updated On: 5/6/12 at 09:33 PM