First musical to open on Broadway???

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#0First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 5:22pm

Hrmm.. I have no clue.. anyone know???

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 5:35pm

Watch the PBS documentary BROADWAY - THE AMERICAN MUSICAL which is available on DVD and VHS.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#2re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 5:46pm

Isn't it THE BLACK CROOK (At least that's the first musical I've learned about in Theatre History class)?

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

Hank
#3re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 6:16pm

Musicals just kind of evolved from vaudeville, Zigfield Follies, and so on. They were for the most part reviews.

At some point, a storyline (book) was added to a collection of songs and dances, and eventually, this this all occured in the Broadway theatre district.

OK, this is about as much as I know about theatre history, never having studied the subject formally, but I'm eager to learn too. Any experts out there?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#4re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 6:26pm

http://www.musicals101.com/erastage.htm

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

toodramatic
#5re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 6:29pm

short answer: Most people like to say "The Black Crook" which opened in 1865 (I think), but with an art form like Musical theatre that is a desendant of countless other art forms its hard for anyone to put their finger on what was the first show that could be called a muscial.

better answer: Go watch Watch the PBS documentary BROADWAY - THE AMERICAN MUSICAL like capnhook said.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#6re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 6:37pm

THE BLACK CROOK opened in 1866 at a theatre called (I believe) Niblo's Garden.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

colleen_lee
#7re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 7:43pm

Coincidentally, the PBS Broadway - American Musical special was on last night. The first two parts, anyway.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Jon
#8re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 10:20pm

The current Broadway/Times Square theatre district didn't exist until around the turn of the century. The earliest theatres in NYC were built in Greenwich Villiagearound the 1820's. The "theatre district" kept moving north throughout the century. "Niblo's Garden" was most likely somewhere between 14th and 28th Street, near 7th or Broadway.

theatrebabe
#9re: First musical to open on Broadway???
Posted: 9/1/05 at 10:22pm

that's a great DVD,You should watch even if you have the answer to your question.

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier