pixeltracker

Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.

Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.

NYSinger1 Profile Photo
NYSinger1
#0Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:39pm

Last night I saw Bernadette Peters as Tilles Center on Long Island. (oy vey). Before the performance the announcer came out and said, quite rudely in my opinion, that they will confiscate any cameras and cameras that look like phones. He went on for about 3 minutes about this, about taking pictures with a camera-phone. He even said "You don't want to stop this great performance so we can confiscate your cell-phone camera." (I am not even sure of the legalities of being able to do that...)

Anyway, what is everyone’s thoughts about taking a picture with your cell phone during a performance. I, admittedly, sometimes take one picture with mine, as a memory of the performance. I do it inconspicuously, and without a flash, obviously. It is purely for a personal memento. Any thoughts?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:40pm

It's the theatre's rules that you don't take pictures during a performance, for security, legal, and safety reasons. And also not to distract your neighbors.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#2re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:41pm

WRONG........inappropriate and WRONG........that's what stagedoors are for.
I actually sat behind a french family in April, who wanted to film, with their video camera, RENT.
I told them if they even turned it on I would get the theater manager

wrong, and also possibly illegal.....how ridiculous to even consider this

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#3re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:45pm

I think the only time it's sort of less taboo is at curtain call during the last performance of a show...otherwise, keep the camera stowed away in your bag. It's really distracting. I've had random picture takers at a couple of shows, and it's very annoying from an audience member perspective, not even taking into consideration the distraction/safety issues that it causes the actors on stage.

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

rose&lark
#4re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:53pm

I would have to agree with Elphaba, in that I think it's wrong and illegal to do so, however, I can understand your desire to do so, NYSinger. Maybe consider this: if did take a picture during a show, how good would it be? How representative could that picture be as a keepsake of the night? Personally, I refrain from such activity, mostly because I understand that it undermines the show in some way, and I just want to enjoy the show, not be encumbered by such things. To remember a show, I usually just write detailed notes of the performance and what I remember from the show and look to those for keepsakes. They allow me to "go back and live" in the memory of a particular show for a moment, because I've written my impressions of the show itself, the performers, and any interesting stage door experiences :) Sorry if this is a long post, but I struggle to figure out how to answer your question. Hope I gave my 2 cents clearly.

Q: What is the most weirdest or funniest thing a fan has asked you? Joe Flanigan, Stargate Atlantis: When a fan asked me for help with his grammar. I'm available.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#5re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 1:47pm

i dont think its so horrible if you take one picture during the show (without flash ofcourse) for YOUR personal use, and not to sell. When I saw Wicked I took a picture of the stage before the show came on b/c I thought it looked pretty. I got yelled at by one of the ushers, but I like the picture. I don't think it's such a big deal in like that scenario but I think it depends on how you take the picture and when and what you plan on doing with it.

RaininSmilies
#6re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 2:06pm

If you really need a memory of the show, you can always buy the souvenir program or even find pictures of the show with the cast you saw on the internet. Plus, the quality of the pictures will probably be much better.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#7re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 2:19pm

It's wrong and illegal. Period.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

etoile
#8re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 2:22pm

The taking of photographs is not permitted in a theater no matter how much someone attempts to rationalize it. Wrong is wrong. Don't tell me people don't know the difference. They don't feel certain rules should apply to them.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
Updated On: 10/16/05 at 02:22 PM

rose&lark
#9re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 2:30pm

Well said, Craig and etoile. It IS wrong. Plus, your memories of a show are so much better!

Q: What is the most weirdest or funniest thing a fan has asked you? Joe Flanigan, Stargate Atlantis: When a fan asked me for help with his grammar. I'm available.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 3:47pm

It is illegal and distracting to other audience members. When I went to see "A Raisin in the Sun" with P. Diddy (Sean Coms!) There were these girls in the 1st rows with the camera cell phones out and starting to take pictures. Some people beside them and behind them made them put the camera phones away. One whispered something to one of the girls. I spoke to her at the end of the performance and she told me she said something to the effect that it was rude and distracting to the performers, especially from the front row, and that it was illegal.

I agree, get the program if you need a picture. Granted, there usually are not programs during most preview periods, but that is no reason to snap a picture. If you need one badly enough, wait until programs are available or as suggested here, search the web. Most pics. I have seen taken with a cell/camera were of poor quality. I have and will continue to say something to people in a theatre doing something that is not allowed or is distracting. If an announcement says it is illegal to photograph or record a performance as an audience member, isn't that enough to let you know not to do it? And as also mentioned, I am not going to take time out of watching a show to fool around with a camera and possibly miss something. Even if I could take a picture legally.

JMO

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 3/28/07 at 03:47 PM

Over_the_Moon
#11re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 3:55pm

Yes, we all know taking pictures of the theatre or during a performance is wrong and illegal.

Something I have never understood- I've been at shows where someone will take a picture of the curtain, and get yelled at, and then someone else take a picture of their friends having a lovely time at the theatre, and that's totally fine. A picture in a theatre is a picture, right?

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#12re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 4:06pm

How do people get away with videoing a whole show.
I saw an illegal video of "The Boy From Oz", do they pay off the ushers?
It was filmed by a gay male because the footage wobbles excitedly when Hugh takes his shirt off, it was hilarious.

Drought Down Under.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#13re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 4:11pm

"When I saw Wicked I took a picture of the stage before the show came on b/c I thought it looked pretty. I got yelled at by one of the ushers, but I like the picture. I don't think it's such a big deal in like that scenario but I think it depends on how you take the picture and when and what you plan on doing with it."

I suspect you were yelled at because scenery is covered by copyright laws.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#14re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 4:19pm

Yahe, I remember when I saw Phantom the second time (I had no choice!) and before the show, there were people taking pictures of the set and of each other. It got really distracting! Luckily, they were shut up once the show began.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 4:26pm

I would suspect that taking a picture of the curtain is also illegal because the curtain they are taking a picture of is most likely a scrim with a production logo or picture on it. I would also figure that it is considered a "part" of the show. Therefore making illegal. And no matter what you plan to do with a picture, when you are told it is illegal, that means don't do it, whether you think the stage looks pretty or not.

Just give the world Love.

NYSinger1 Profile Photo
NYSinger1
#16re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 4:54pm

I knew this would be a good discussion on here...

amperage
#17re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 4:59pm

Not only is it wrong, it is distracting to and disrespectful of your fellow audience members. There are reasons for this rule, and it should be obeyed

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#18re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 5:07pm

discussions on this act being immoral or unethical could go on forever. the simple fact is that it's illegal. the end. mostly because of legality issues in the sense that the scenery, costumes and every other aspect of the production are under copyright. most of the shows on Broadway right now have gorgeous color photo brochures for you to take home to remember the production. most of them for ten bucks are so beautifully put together that they're a steal for that price. yes it is also distracting to the people around you and to the people on stage, but I don't think anyone who knowingly takes pictures with a digital camera phone or cell phone is thinking about the worse case scenario which is not losing your camera, but rather a hefty fine and if you can't pay that are you considering jail time? most of them are not...

anthonypisano
#19re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 5:30pm

I am just wondering if you can provide some sort of review of Bernadette Peters show? How were her spirits?

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#21re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 6:10pm

i didnt think it was illegal to take a picture of the curtain-- just of the show. I agree with the turning phone of thing, i'd kill anyone if their phone went off during a show while I was watching. I always triple, and quadruple check to make sure mines off.

#22re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 6:28pm

I've seen an usher take a picture of two girls inside the theatre... I don't know if this constitutes as illegal, because the curtain wasn't in the background at all. It was just a picture of the two girls in the theatre.

Anyway, it does not matter what you are taking the picture with, it is still considered illegal... it does not matter what you are taking the picture for. People have to realize it is dangerous for the actors & also distracting for everyone. Same goes for cellphone users: at LEAST have the decency to put your phone on silent during the performance if you don't want to take it off. Imagine being the actor in an emotional scene, then a cellphone ringtone goes off... it distracts everyone, and takes away from the performance.

Mark in Oakland
#23re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 7:57pm

In NY State (and in other states as well), it is ILLEGAL to take photos in any theater, period. It doesn't matter what the composition of the photo is - it is the act of taking a photo that is against the law. The problem seems to be that the law is not enforced uniformly and/or not all theater employees (i.e. ushers) are knowledgeable about it or even want to be an "enforcer". Personally, I find the taking of photos in theaters (as well as flash photos in restaurants and other confined spaces) to be rude and selfish. If I see someone taking photos in a theater, I report them. Call me a meanie, but we are in the midst of a severe "dumbing down" in this country, and that includes obeying simple rules, lack of etiquette and being considerate of those around you.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#24re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 8:20pm

I'm just curious about how people get away with video taping a show and not getting caught? Has anyone ever witnissed someone do this?

Videos