pixeltracker

HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???

HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???

Phantom487
#0HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???
Posted: 11/18/05 at 1:46am

I have thought for years that this classic Bing Crosby film would be great on stage... anyone else think so? It's got all those great Irving Berlin songs and several dance numbers...

nycdncr Profile Photo
nycdncr
#1re: HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???
Posted: 11/18/05 at 2:36am

white christmas is pretty much the same thing.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

kateerin Profile Photo
kateerin
#2re: HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???
Posted: 11/18/05 at 12:41pm

I wrote this as a pitch for a project in my producing class. hahaha!

I thoroughly support it, though my reasoning ended up being teh exact same as the reasons for White Christmas! Oh well... I also thought Princess Bride would make a great musical years ago.

"If your wanting a beginner, I shan't do..."

Jon
#3re: HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???
Posted: 11/18/05 at 12:52pm

Love the Lincoln's Birthday song with the performers in blackface singin' how he done freed de slaves.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#4re: HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???
Posted: 11/18/05 at 3:06pm

Many people prefer HOLIDAY INN because the two male leads are in constant competition (IN WHITE CHRISTMAS the only tension is Danny Kaye's constant lauding of how he saved the life of army pal Bing in an attempt to get his own way.)

Neither film has a really strong plot and both serve mainly as excuses for the Berlin tunes.

But with WHITE CHRISTMAS being assembled for stage (by teh R&H organization) perhaps the best compromise would be to combine the best elements of both.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#5re: HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???
Posted: 11/18/05 at 3:17pm

White Christmas is already staged and open for business. It's fantastic. I went in last year fearing it would suffer for the plot. I agree with your assessment of the lack of a strong plot. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the creative team for this show did a wonderful job. They used the basic elements of the story and kicked the show up a bit by adding in several "go get em" dance numbers.

Berlin's tunes in the show are beautiful to hear and the staging around them is wonderful to watch.

Songs included in White Christmas Staging:
Blue Skies
Happy Holidays/Come, Get Together
Sisters
Love and the weather
What do you do with a General
Snow
Best things happen while your'e dancing
Let me Sing
Falling out of Love can be fun
How Deep is the ocean
Love, you didn't do right by me
We'll follw the old man
I love a Piano
White Christmas
I've got my Love to keep me warm
Count your Blessings

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

SorryGrateful
#6re: HOLIDAY INN as a stage musical???
Posted: 11/18/05 at 3:23pm

I agree with Jon. "Abraham" would be great to do in blackface on Broadway. Blackface is the new green, right?

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

Videos