Spelling Bee love!

Creative Lunatic
#100re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 11:20am

How did they introduce the librarian?
Sometimes I really worry with some of the guest spellers' foot wear that they will trip getting off and on the bleachers...

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#101re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 11:28am

I don't remember the exact wording... most of the intros are much funnier in person, Lisa does a great delivery.

Creative Lunatic
#102re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 11:38am

I also love the way Jose's Chip backreferences one of the intros---How come the guy with head lice got Mexican's and I got----
SOOOOO Good!!!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#103re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 11:52am

Yeah! He called the crushing man "HeMan". Most people didn't get it though. I always fear that he will forget what the person was called, or that Derrick, when saying the last goodbye, will forget the person's name. But it has yet to happen, they are just too good!

And the word you are looking for is Omphaloskepsis :)

Creative Lunatic
#104re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 11:57am

Liotte---we may be far too emotionally invested
I can't believe that every time I see it--I also worry that Derrick will forget the name of the last speller.
I will say that there were times when he paid real close attention that he was able to call them by first and last name--or I have caught him looking to Lisa for confirmation...
I knew omphaloskepsis--I just didn't want to give away too much...

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#105re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:06pm

I fear you may be right! I won't be able to see the show for over 2 weeks because I will be out of town, that's like major withdrawal!

Creative Lunatic
#106re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:08pm

I KNOW!!!!

bigrab1018 Profile Photo
bigrab1018
#107re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:39pm

liotte, how many times have you seen Spelling Bee?

"Billy, put down that phylactery...we're Episcopalian." - Spelling Bee

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#108re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:45pm

A few... less than I've seen Rent, Wicked, and All Shook Up.

#109re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:54pm

Im so excited I get tos ee this show in chicago in may for our choir trip. Ive never seen it so Im pretty thrilled lol.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#110re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 9:39pm

I'll be interested to know how the show is in chicago! Be sure to report back!

QOM
#111re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 9:59pm

Here's something I always wonder about... you know the part where Chip first spots Marigold and he doesn't speak aloud but you hear his thoughts... well during that part he always says what she's wearing; something like, "ooo look at that girl in the red sweater." Well since that is different every time, how do they do that? Does he record it right before the show or something?

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#112re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:06pm

Chip taps Leaf on the shoulder, points to a woman in the front row, and asks if that is Marigold (by describing her sweater and sometimes another physical trait, like a hat or her hair color). When it is Chip's turn to spell, which is about 10-15 minutes later, his thought just says "That's a lovely sweater, Marigold".
Updated On: 12/17/05 at 10:06 PM

QOM
#113re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:25pm

oh ok...guess my memory isn't that great! I have seen the show four times too!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#114re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:27pm

Good excuse to go see it again!

Creative Lunatic
#115re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:34pm

You know though--there are little bits that allow for improv. I think the interplay when Chip throws the yellow ones at Barfee and the hysterical dialogue that ensues is slightly different whenever I see it...
I sense Dan gets a kick out of trying to crack Jose up....

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#116re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:44pm

Yeah, I also noticed that dialogue was different almost every time. I love the improv stuff in the show, they are all so good!

Creative Lunatic
#117re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:49pm

I think they pull it off so effectively because they each have such a deep understanding of their characters,and have great trust in one another

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#118re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/18/05 at 12:10am

Hey Liotte, I saw it tonight and I missed you being there. You are my face of the show lol.

Tonight was great too. Everyone of the actors and actresses was on and the crowd was really in it (has it ever not) The last speller, a young guy recovering from head lice, to be eliminated made us all laugh. He got the two tough words right (spelled catarjunes and that eye disorder xero--- whatever to which Doug replied, "I hate you very much".)
The whole crowd gave the young man a standing ovation. Priceless!

Updated On: 12/18/05 at 12:10 AM

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#119re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/18/05 at 12:12am

that's impressive!

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#120re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/18/05 at 12:12am

I'm totally jealous, I wish I could have been there. I have yet to see anyone get past xero***** (I won't spell it out so it's not ruined for all).

Glad you had a good time though! Thanks for sharing in the Bee love!

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#121re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/18/05 at 12:15am

Plus you know who's dialogue during Pandemonium was so funny.

"Everything is so confused....it's like seeing George Bush watching Brokeback Mountain."

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#122re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/18/05 at 12:16am

I haven't heard that one! Elaborate please!

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#123re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/18/05 at 12:22am

She was saying something like Thursday was movie night and she and her two fathers were watching Brokeback Mountain and then she began to go into a long association linking George Bush, gay cowboys, old western movie stars, gay sex,and her two fathers. I really can't remember it all at the moment but it was very funny. Does she write this stuff on the fly?

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#124re: Spelling Bee love!
Posted: 12/18/05 at 12:23am

She prepares them ahead of time, changes it every few days or when there is a big news story.

That's fun though, I'm sorry I missed that speech!